• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash cluster plastic chrome???

HEMI-ITIS

STREETER on LI
Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
63 plymouth dash cluster,did the Fury come with the plastic chrome and the Belvedere & Savoy just have silver paint??I'd like to do the cluster face and get the lenses polished.

Attachments

• 112-1239_IMGr2.jpg
    112-1239_IMGr2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 112-1278_IMGr2.JPG
    112-1278_IMGr2.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 621
I think you will find they all used the same bezel.

Than mine were repainted before my ownership:toothy6: I have seen a few that redone and they were NICE!!!!

Hemi-itis, if you are looking for someone to replate the bezel I would recommend Vaccuum Ornametal. They just did my 64 Belvedere and 69 Dart dash bezels and they turned out perfect. The price without the detail for the 64 was only $78.00. The quality is exceptional and about 6 wks. turn around. I have had $500.00 rechromes that were not nearly as nice.

Hemi-itis, if you are looking for someone to replate the bezel I would recommend Vaccuum Ornametal. They just did my 64 Belvedere and 69 Dart dash bezels and they turned out perfect. The price without the detail for the 64 was only $78.00. The quality is exceptional and about 6 wks. turn around. I have had $500.00 rechromes that were not nearly as nice.

Could you explain what "detail" means?

Frank at Vaccum Ornametal did the detailing of painting the letters, the black insets,etc. Their Web address is vaccumornametal.com. They are located around Dteroit. I will try to post some pics tonite.

Can anyone post a pic of what the '63 cluster is suposed to look like??:thinker:

Attachments

• Carl Place 4.12 022.jpg
    Carl Place 4.12 022.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 426
  • Carl Place 4.12 023.jpg
    Carl Place 4.12 023.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 435

I would like to see the results,I don't see how anyone can do vacuum plating for the price you quoted.Also,explain "without detail ".

I have seen some high dollor dashes where just the bezel is chrome and the rest appears painted.:icon_compress:

So all this may seem strange. But I build plastic models as a hobby, so i figured I would try this on my own to save money.
I took the dash pieces apart leaving me with just the plastic face.
I soaked it in oven cleaner in a sealed container. Left it in front of the window to make it react slowly. Then washed it with dish soap and water.
I sprayed it with Tamiya bright aluminum out of a can. After drying i masked off the bezels and top/bottom edge. To keep them shiny. I sprayed a dull coat to cut down the tone on the face. Removed the tape and there ya go.
I removed the clear plastic off the cluster and polished it slowly with Novus plastic polish. Starting with coarse and moving up to the final polish. Cleared them up and removed all the cleaning scratches from the past 48 years.
Wont win me any awards at the concourse level. But it will do.
vbpgimage.php

Hemi-Itis this is my cluster face after I worked it over. I repainted the black and silver myself and it did not come out to bad. I also polished the lens with lens polish. Ron

400049488.gif

Last edited:
You guys did a great job on those clusters:icon_thumright:I saw a dash that had been fresh,just done with new plastic chrome around the gauge clusters and it looked GREAT!!!It,s on my bucket list to do:icon_clown:

Auto Transport Service
Back