• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Lights

BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING WITH THE POWER PACK, IT WILL GIVE YOU A JOLT FROM THE 200 + VOLTS AC ( I'VE READ IT CAN BE AS HIGH AS 330 VAC). I HAD SKATPAK REBUILD TWO POWER PACKS FOR MY 67 CHARGER. BUT EVEN WITH A GOOD POWER PAK, THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS THAT WILL PREVENT YOUR EL LIGHTS TO WORK. I ALSO HAD TO REPLACE MY HEADLIGHT SWITCH . FINALLY, THE WIRING FOR THE EL PASSES THROUGH THE FUEL GAUGE , WHICH IS THE LAST SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM AND REQUIRES THE REMOVAL OF THE GAUGE CLUSTER AND SENT TO SOMEONE LIKE SKATPAK TO REBUILD. JUST BE CAREFUL HANDLING THE POWER PACK.

power pack.jpg

67ChargerB wiring .JPG

67-Coronet-Wiring-Diagram-FULL-Color.jpg

electroluminescent relay.jpg

That even LOOKS like something that would bite you. Reminds me of an old tube type console radio. Where is this located in the dash? I have not laid eyes on it yet. Just found the fuse holder but have not removed it. Should be able to do so today. The glove box is out/missing so I see the headlight relays. Lots of different stuff in that dashboard.

The power pack is mounted on the lower edge of the dash just under the glovebox. If your cardboard glove box liner is out and you see the relays, look down you should see the power pack if it's not missing...

I will be checking for the power pack today. I looked at the site you mentioned twecomm and it does have a lot of information. I will be researching on that one as well. Also saw a sidebar that mentions frequent posters and one is/was chargerdon. That is the likely the person who formerly had my car. I purchased it from an estate. Going thru papers that came with the car I saw that he used that name frequently. He was located in the Chicago area and passed in January.

Also I found a blown fuse for the interior lights and they are working again. Including the trunk light. But I'm surprised this fuse is linked with the stop lights. Maybe when I was driving the car yesterday I did not have stop lights but they are working for now. Which brings me to another question. All six of the lights come on with the brake pedal and three light up for each turn signal. Is that correct???

The four way emer. flashers are not working so that will another issue but I want to know why the fuse blew. Tried leaving the door open activating the interior lights and having the wife press the brake pedal and the fuse held but that is when I saw all the bulbs come on for the stop lights.

Lastly, while she was inside the car with it running I had her activate the A/C and the clutch engaged on. Almost w/o notice. Very quiet. So maybe there is no pressure resistance due to a lack of freon.

Lastly, the 2A fuse for the dash lights looks okay. Seems like a small soldier for such a powerful system.

Checked and the power pack is there. Hard to see though with the A/C plenum in the same area. Next to it there is a round speaker looking thing with three wires connected to it. Feels soft on the reverse side but I cannot see what it looks like. This would be right below the glove box. So now I have to review all the data sent and see if I am up to figuring this out. Has anyone converted their dash to regular bulbs? Just thinkin". Also raised the driver seat as far as it would go up. Then vacuumed under there. I noticed driving yesterday I was looking at my knuckles when in the 12 o'clock position. Did not go up a great deal but the seat cushion is pretty flat too. Could use a rebuild.

Checked and the power pack is there. Hard to see though with the A/C plenum in the same area. Next to it there is a round speaker looking thing with three wires connected to it. Feels soft on the reverse side but I cannot see what it looks like. This would be right below the glove box. So now I have to review all the data sent and see if I am up to figuring this out. Has anyone converted their dash to regular bulbs? Just thinkin". Also raised the driver seat as far as it would go up. Then vacuumed under there. I noticed driving yesterday I was looking at my knuckles when in the 12 o'clock position. Did not go up a great deal but the seat cushion is pretty flat too. Could use a rebuild.
Not possible unless you replace all your gauges with different. Car looses its some of its "character" then in my opinion. The round speaker looking thing is the tach sending unit (1966 only).

I know Chargerdon, he's on the east coast, don't think it's who you refer to. And yes the round thing is indeed the tach sender.

I believe the "round speaker looking thing" is the tachometer sending unit for these cars. I had mine rebuilt, along with the EL power pack and entire gauge cluster, by The Gauge Doc The Gauge Doc
Haven't had a chance to reinstall everything yet as 1) I'm doing a garage expansion project for more working room and 2) I'm thinking I'll rewire the car before reinstalling the gauge cluster.

Auto Transport Service
Back