• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dashpot

Turbobus

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
My Holley dashpot isn’t strong enough to increase the idle rpm when a/c is on even when the throttle return spring is removed, it’ll work if I slightly depress the accelerator but I would like a dashpot with a bit more power, is it a pipe dream or does someone make a more powerful dashpot? Or do I need to some other adjustments?

The dashpot is a "shock absorber" for the throttle closing. It slows closing to prevent stalling and (I think for emissions). If you are referring to the idle solenoid, that is designed to increase idle rpm to carry the extra load of the A/C compressor.
Mike

The dashpot is a "shock absorber" for the throttle closing. It slows closing to prevent stalling and (I think for emissions). If you are referring to the idle solenoid, that is designed to increase idle rpm to carry the extra load of the A/C compressor.
Mike
Mike, yes am referring to the solenoid that increases idle rpm when the compressor is energized (as long as pressure requirements are met within the system).

Does the pin in the solenoid stroke easily by hand? Will it snap out with 12 volts applied? Is the wire supplying battery voltage?
Mike

My Holley dashpot isn’t strong enough to increase the idle rpm when a/c is on even when the throttle return spring is removed, it’ll work if I slightly depress the accelerator but I would like a dashpot with a bit more power, is it a pipe dream or does someone make a more powerful dashpot? Or do I need to some other adjustments?
I don't recall ever seeing an idle kick up solenoid that will activate without tapping the accelerator. Just the nature of the beast...

Auto Transport Service
Back