• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding a very rusty crusty fender tag...

firedome

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
...from a '70 Charger R/T V-code according to the several VINS.
Mostly unreadable, is it best to remove it to access the back for tracing or reading?
What would be the least damaging way to remove it? the screw heads are basically rusted to the point of unusable.
It's certainly not good enough for a restored car... but it least it has one.

IMG_1639.jpg

Yes, flip it over.

Drill the screw heads on center. Start with a center punch and a small sharp bit, going bigger until you eat away ans the screw heads, tag will come off with no damage.

Use a hammer go underneath and knock the screws around, then use pointed Visegrip pliers to remove the screws. The tag will be readable from the backside. Maybe soak it in evaporust after you write down what codes are on the tag. The car appears to be one of 349 1970 Charger R/T V code 440 Sixpack, 4 speed Chargers built in 1970. There were 337 automatic 440 Sixpack Chargers as well. The car is a rare piece worthy of a restoration. This is my 70 V code Charger R/T.

20210514_193135.jpg

20210925_145203.jpg

I would grind off the screws on the bottom side of the inner fender. The tag should pop right off after without any damage.

You could try to do a pencil rub... And see if it clears things up.

Geez - what a find. On those screws, I would try lots of Blaster/vice grips from underneath to get them turning/more Blaster/extract from top.

Here's a big ol' SWAG at what I think I might see? View of the back is usually better.

IMG_1639modified.jpg

Edit: Maybe J45 "Hood Pins" preceding M21? A J42 Pistol Grip is likely for this car...but that doesn't code to the tag I don't think?

Last edited:
Thanks all, and Mark, you have better eyes than I do for sure!
Will get the tag off and see what's what hopefully.

Pretty sure the color is this, there's some good spots of original paint on the firewall. Not what I'd choose, but who's complaining.

banner-01.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back