• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diode removal and installation 1968 mopar alternator

You will likely need a press of some sort as the diodes are physically pressed into the alternator casting. No glue or insulation on the diode bodies... On my 66 which has a single field alternator, I have never needed to replace diodes, they rarely fail and usually the bearings go bad long before you would see any electrical issues. Buying a re-man auto parts store replacement alternator is cheap and although rebuilt, they seem to be just fine and come with some warranty period. IMHO, not worth the effort to do a replacement of the diodes.. Why do you think your diodes are defective ?

A socket or piece of pipe under the casting to support it going out and in is all you need, they tap right out. 3 of them come out in a separate casting, have seen those broken from trying to get by not removing it, also remember there are black and red printed diodes, they do not interchange.

Agree with tapping out with a socket.

My Super Bee used to eat diodes.
Never figured out why.
I carried spare alternator halves in the trunk, and swapped diodes out at home.
On some models, they are soldered to a heavy wire.
Those are relatively easy to work with.
Other models have a cast or fabricated bridge connecting the diodes.
Not as easy.

1726678396063.png

Auto Transport Service
Back