• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dist fit LA318 to Poly318

gtxdude

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
Do distributors inter-change between the 318's? I have a newer 318 dist that I want to drop into my poly 318 (1963) to see if that's my problem with vacumn not working. What's in there is original but was up-graded to a Pertronix internals.

I beleive the dist,are interchage able ,if you go to mancini racing website ,the Dist,are the same part #.I have pertroincs in my poly and it works great.

Looking into adding a pertronix to my distributor, what is the part number I need to look at ?

Thanks Bill

Just received my Pertronix distributor and when I pulled it out of the box, there is no gear on the shaft. I ordered the Pertronix for the LA318 motor as I was told it would interchange with no issues. Didn't want to do anything yet until I got the all clear before pulling my distributor this weekend.

Bill

Just received my Pertronix distributor and when I pulled it out of the box, there is no gear on the shaft. I ordered the Pertronix for the LA318 motor as I was told it would interchange with no issues. Didn't want to do anything yet until I got the all clear before pulling my distributor this weekend.

Bill

there shouldn't be a "gear" on it.. should just have a flat tab.. gear stays with the oil pump shaft in the block...

Whew, thought I got a defective one that came without the gear. Cool, you can tell I'm new to Mopars...lol

Same block - the Poly's just became know as "wide block" due to the wider semi hemi heads.

The Mopar Performance distributors fit Poly's too:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3690426/media/images

dcc-3690426.jpg

Doesn't the factory stock unit use a gasket to seal around the distributor to the block, and the newer units use an O ring? At least that is what I had, and the newer unit was real hard to get down in there with the O ring. Once in there, it worked fine. I think it is still hard to turn when timing.

Mine uses a gasket. I actually bought the complete Pertronix unit, seems to be a pretty good unit. I was always happy with the conversion kits, so i tried the whole unit. Rather expensive, but I opted for the male style terminals on the cap, and when the cap needs replaced, it will accept the msd cab with brass contacts and wire lock ring..

FYI.. my car is a 1964 I put a 70's 360 in. My dad has a 1970 Sport Satellite with a 318. *** i believe a complete pertronix dist. will not fit in a 68-70 b-body small block cars*** it is taller and will not clear with the wiper motor. It MAY clear with a different cap, but I am not sure what options they have... I am not sure about 67, nor 71-74.. Just wanted to put that out there in case someone with a 68-70 small block b-body was going to consider one

Auto Transport Service
Back