• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor number one plug wire location on my 383 motor Roadrunner Manual trans.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
So where should Number one wire be when looking at my distributor top left or right. Been looking for pictures but having problems finding them. Thanks for help. Blue

Number 1 cylinder is the front one on the drivers side. If the distributor gear was installed correctly, you should be able to follow that plug wire back to the distributor and find it at the 7 Oclock position looking at your distributor from the front of the car. If it is in any other position, your distributor gear was not installed properly.

So where should Number one wire be when looking at my distributor top left or right. Been looking for pictures but having problems finding them. Thanks for help. Blue
Should be and where it really is can be 2 different things. I can static time an engine with #1 in any location. Get a factory service manual if you want to do it right.

On many of the OEM intake manifolds, there are numbers cast into the intake manifold indicating the cylinder numbers. As others have said, you will find it as the forward-most cylinder on the driver's left side is cylinder #1.

If you rotate the engine, so it is at TDC (top dead center) on cylinder #1 (compression stroke), the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley will be visible near the index mark. When the wires are correct, the rotor inside the distributor cap will be pointing to the #1 cylinder wire on the distributor cap.

Number 1 cylinder is the front one on the drivers side. If the distributor gear was installed correctly, you should be able to follow that plug wire back to the distributor and find it at the 7 Oclock position looking at your distributor from the front of the car. If it is in any other position, your distributor gear was not installed properly.
I was thinking it was around the 5 o’clock position?

If you want to do it per the book, at TDC set the intermediate shaft so that the distributor slot is pointed from front to back in line with the crank center line. This will put the rotor somewhere around 5 O'clock #1.

If you want to do it per the book, at TDC set the intermediate shaft so that the distributor slot is pointed from front to back in line with the crank center line. This will put the rotor somewhere around 5 O'clock #1.
Correct if you are standing by right front fender looking at the distributor......I said 7 O'clock from the front. It does matter where you are standing.

It doesn’t matter as long as the rotor points to the terminal with the #1 plug wire while cylinder #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke…

Correct if you are standing by right front fender looking at the distributor......I said 7 O'clock from the front. It does matter where you are standing.
I just assumed standing at the front of the car meant standing by the front fender looking at the distributor.

063dcccc39a3e90c2896a6f660235d3b.jpg

I did not dispute your statement.

However, when people are adjusting the intermediate shaft to correct orientation and inserting the distributor, they are more than likely looking down the hole from the passenger side of the engine as this gives you line of sight for alignment.

If it's in roughly the factory location....your vacuum pod will be free of any obstructions and pointing at around 2:30 o'clock - viewed from the grill.

(Timing subject to variations) :lol:

If it's in roughly the factory location....your vacuum pod will be free of any obstructions and pointing at around 2:30 o'clock - viewed from the grill.

(Timing subject to variations) :lol:
Ideally number 8 wire should exit directly north (towards the passenger seat) from the distributor cap.

Start from there and work around the cap.

(should exit directly north (towards )
I have questions or is this down under thing ?
:lol:

I did not dispute your statement.

However, when people are adjusting the intermediate shaft to correct orientation and inserting the distributor, they are more than likely looking down the hole from the passenger side of the engine as this gives you line of sight for alignment.
I didn't dispute your statement either. However, it is pretty hard to track down that number one plug wire (at least for me) from the right fender position. My comment was to the question that started this thread. He was not asking about proper installation of the distributor or drive.
What I should have done was put up a physical diagram like 1967 Coronet did. Nothing to dispute that way.

He was not asking about proper installation of the distributor or drive.

Without it, the only correct answer to the original question is "wherever your rotor points to at TDC".... not 7 O'Clock or 5 O' Clock or any other O' Clock.

At any rate, I orient the dizzy wherever it fits best, so nobody listen to me!

(should exit directly north (towards )
I have questions or is this down under thing ?
I did think about expressing my opinion in refridgerators....but thought a sink-hole might appear and swallow up cars. :)

Yep :thumbsup:

If you want to do it per the book, at TDC set the intermediate shaft so that the distributor slot is pointed from front to back in line with the crank center line.
As per the Factory Service Manual.
It also matters if you are using wires pre-cut to factory length specs.

Read the yellow high lighted section in link #2 on right side.

383 440 firing order diagram.png

Attachments

• 383-440 DISTRIBUTOR OIL PUMP DRIVE INSTALL (1) (1) (2) (1) (1).pdf
    957.9 KB · Views: 28
I'm thinking of a Billy Preston song title from 1973. :p

Auto Transport Service
Back