• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I need a new Pitman arm?

I had most of my brakes and front end replaced back in the day and I doubt the car has 30K miles on it since then. My particular Pitman has no zerk on it (wish it did). The upper surface is completely smooth.

Not knowing the age/condition of things, just tossed it over. You made one heck of a good ‘find’ before things might have gotten much worse. At first with my ride, thought for sure it might have had something to do with the new steering box, necessary shimming, lack-of, etc. For the cost of a pitman was sure glad this hassle went away.

Not knowing the age/condition of things, just tossed it over. You made one heck of a good ‘find’ before things might have gotten much worse. At first with my ride, thought for sure it might have had something to do with the new steering box, necessary shimming, lack-of, etc. For the cost of a pitman was sure glad this hassle went away.
This might even have been my own gaffe, because many years ago, long after I parked my Charger, I noticed fluid on the floor from the Pitman arm and I had to replace the Pitman shaft seal. I didn't have an impact gun way back then so I suspect that might be why the castle nut wasn't tightened up properly. With a wrench, it just goes on a few threads and stops/spins with the Pitman stud. Probably also explains why the cotter pin is missing. Age and memory... :BangHead:

Hopefully it'll tighten up properly with an impact gun and the center link still be as tight as it is on the passenger side. I'll find out tonight!

I tried again tonight with the impact gun. At first, it again wanted to spin with the stud, but I gave the center link another inch of jack lift, tried again, and the nut jumped right up there. I snugged it up with my ratchet and now it's got a cotter pin! Everything feels super tight with no side-to-side play. Got lucky with this, fixed one thing and on to the hundred other things...I still want to upgrade to a fast ratio Pitman arm though.

The transmission lines will stay in position if they're bent correctly along with "S" clips that hold them together.

Auto Transport Service
Back