• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do it yourself windshield chip repair?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of those repair kits for windshield bullseye chips?

I had a professional glass company repair my Kenworth. You can still see a blemish, but at least it didn't spread!!

i have used them and like them. read and do not hard and as you do it you get better. some will leave a blemish like ironbuilt says but again not buying a new windshields. plus you can make some extra money from home doing the neighbors cars.

i have used them and like them. read and do not hard and as you do it you get better. some will leave a blemish like ironbuilt says but again not buying a new windshields. plus you can make some extra money from home doing the neighbors cars.
In my Kenworth's case, the windshields aren't expensive. It's installing them so that they don't leak that's tricky.

I had a professional glass company repair my Kenworth. You can still see a blemish, but at least it didn't spread!!

Is it a bullseye, or does it have some spider-ing? Depending on size & location of hit will dictate weather or not the Tech will do the repair! In this Industry standard is, if it it the immediately field of view, etc.. The Tech won't touch it, it's a Liability issue now with vision & all. You get it, I hope? Hope this help, for whatever? Good Luck

Is it a bullseye, or does it have some spider-ing? Depending on size & location of hit will dictate weather or not the Tech will do the repair! In this Industry standard is, if it it the immediately field of view, etc.. The Tech won't touch it, it's a Liability issue now with vision & all. You get it, I hope? Hope this help, for whatever? Good Luck
It was a dime sized chip on the passenger windshield. ( I have twin windshields) They did a great job, but I am curious to see what happens the first time my windshield freezes.

i have seen them split and some just keep going. i think it the luck of the draw for the most part. as for your leakage if its windshield to rubber leak i now use a clear silicone in the groove if it is rubber to window frame i have been using body sealant. i have had great luck with this you must take your time on the installed. i also tape off the window before installing the silicone just to save some of the clean up mess.

i have seen them split and some just keep going. i think it the luck of the draw for the most part. as for your leakage if its windshield to rubber leak i now use a clear silicone in the groove if it is rubber to window frame i have been using body sealant. i have had great luck with this you must take your time on the installed. i also tape off the window before installing the silicone just to save some of the clean up mess.
Biggest problem we've encountered is prepping the body to accept the seal. I have had a brand new windshield, installed by a professional fall out. My visor saved the windshield from crashing onto my hood at 60 MPH.

now that sucks. you are correct prepping is the most important.

Many insurance companies will do the repair for free if you choose that option over replacement. Check with your insurance company.

Auto Transport Service
Back