• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do not do business with this guy

I agree about how you feel on payment options but the bottom line is that it IS a privately-owned business. As such, they make the rules(kinda like this website, the owner makes the rules-there is no first amendment protections here). Their position is "if you don't like it, move on" and that is their right. Try another auction site, craigslist or whatever.
I also don't like the feedback changes. It's useless now.

BTW: when you get to the 'decide how you'd like to be paid' section there is an "add or remove options" button. click that, make your selection.

I agree about how you feel on payment options but the bottom line is that it IS a privately-owned business. As such, they make the rules(kinda like this website, the owner makes the rules-there is no first amendment protections here). Their position is "if you don't like it, move on" and that is their right. Try another auction site, craigslist or whatever.
I also don't like the feedback changes. It's useless now.

BTW: when you get to the 'decide how you'd like to be paid' section there is an "add or remove options" button. click that, make your selection.

I think you are missing my MAIN point.

Ebay is an auction site that makes their money on listing and final sales fees for providing the auction service. The sale and purchase is between the seller and buyer as is the payment arrangements and shipping type/cost. Once Ebay has fullfilled their role of listing the item they should have nothing to do with the seller/buyer choices of payment or shipping. Their ownership of payPal and forcing the use of it and blocking listing and other forms of payment is against the free enterprise laws of our country.

This would be no different than if you took a car to Barrett-Jackson and when you signed up to sell it they said "oh, BTW, if the buyer needs to ship the car home with a carrier you HAVE to use the one we own, no others allowed."

I am telling you, I tried all available options when I relisted the subject item in this post and NOTHING would allow me from listing it without showing PayPal as the marked payment choice. This is not my first rodeo, I have been using Ebay since 2000 and PayPal since it first became available.

EDIT:
I have gone back to edit the listing to show "payment upon pick up" which it allows, however, it STILL requires a form of electronic payment. Why? If you are asking for payment upon pick up there should be no reason for accepting electronic payment. Also, I tried to switch to Propay but since I have no account there it would not allow it, at least that is what I assume as it would not accept it. The bottom line is that they require the seller to accept some form of electronic payment that cost the SELLER money to do so rather than being able to accept a M.O. that cost the seller nothing.
Ebay has things pretty well covered so that sellers CAN NOT add fees that will cover these additional expense they incure for accepting payment that cost them money. The only place that really allows for it is by adding a handling fee with shipping, but it can not be shown as a percentage. I know from experience and from watching the sites on the Net that people go ballistic when a seller other than a retailer wants to add a handling fee. However, this is what they are pushing people towards.

I'm not missing your point at all. I've already said that I agree with you more than once.

If you feel they're violating free enterprise laws, file a complaint.
Otherwise, your only choice is to not use eBay. Bitching on message boards sure won't help. Neither will complaining to eBay.

I'm not missing your point at all. I've already said that I agree with you more than once.

If you feel they're violating free enterprise laws, file a complaint.
Otherwise, your only choice is to not use eBay. Bitching on message boards sure won't help. Neither will complaining to eBay.

Actually, I think it does. It alerts more people about what is going on and more people boycot Ebay or complain to them about these policies. The only thing that gets Ebay's attention is when they feel it in their pocketbook.

I am leaving ebay also, not only are the shipping charges and weight they add not realistic but the forced paypal to me is plain extortion on top of taking away the negative rating system, this gives anyone the right to do whatever they choose to do without any fear of recrimination. I used to have a good time buying and selling on ebay but no more and I urge everyone else to use the free Mopar sites as well.
Joey

I have been selling and buying items on eBay for several years, and have had only 1 bad experience (the seller misrepresented the item). I always paid with a money order and required payment with a money order. I dropped my PayPal account because of scam artists always trying to get into my account. I didn't like it when eBay changed their feedback policy, but I stopped using them entirely, when they changed the payment policy to PayPal only. I have no intention of using them again until they drop that requirement. Instead, I'll list my parts on the free Mopar forums.

i cant sell crap on the free classifieds, too small of group reading them.

I am going to start using Craig List as I think many others are turning to it as well.

I talked to my Post Master, he said rules change for fire arms.

Patrick, did you file a complaint at http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/internetschemes.htm ? I sold a .45 to a "gentleman" a few years ago, and made the mistake of thinking his good feedback and high check number was enough for me to go ahead and send him the gun.

When was this? You cannot sell any firearms n Ebay and havent been able to since 99? Why would you send anything of reasonable value without payment first?:confused:

Where's this info from?

This is direct from one of my current auctions when I went to revise listing. Its simply a checkbox, check it if you want to accept paypal and uncheck it if you dont? Where are you being "forced" to use PayPal?

You accept, money orders, certified bank checks, cash, personal checks (after it clears) whatever you like? Then IF YOU WANT TO accept PP then check it off. Its not an optional thing because its either on or off, it's not forcing you to use it at all.

I have been on Ebay for over 10 years and I am a Power Seller and I have never once had a penny out of place. Just have to be aware and know how to use it.

Decide how you'd like to be paid | Add or remove options | See help
Select at least one approved electronic payment method listed below.
Electronic payment methods ( fee varies )

PayPal

Accept credit or debit card and bank payments safely and easily with PayPal.

Your PayPal account email address (to receive payments)

If this item sells by a Best Offer, you will not be able to require immediate payment

Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now

This is from the bottom of my auction, see it says "Seller Prefered" PayPal then it says "Seller's payment instructions
Buyer is to pay in the form of a postal money order or PayPal.Check our feedback and bid with confidence, good luck":

Payment method Preferred/Accepted

Seller Preferred PAYPAL

Seller's payment instructions
Buyer is to pay in the form of a postal money order or PayPal.Check our feedback and bid with confidence, good luck.

Also this was only in Australia.

I was just complaining today about the high cost of using ebay,but the fact is you can reach so many more people and find items so much easier its worth it to me.

I listed 8 items just before the holidays with the required weight and dimensions for shipping. On 5 of the auctions I got screwed on the shipping and made a buck on three of them. I complained and was told to reduce the package size in the future! What The heck? I gave the dimensions and the weight.
Plus no ability to leave an honest feedback about the buyer. I say no to ebay.

Auto Transport Service
Back