• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know what year and month the headrests became available 1969 Super Bee?

FASTEDDIE1960

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
just wonderinf if anybody knows what month and year the headrests for bucket seats were available on a 1969 Super Bee?
thanks

Federal laws mandated head rests on cars built after January 1, 1969. Before that, head rests were optional.
your car was built before that date, so it may not have head rest

Headrests started being available from Chrysler in 1967 I believe

Federal laws mandated head rests on cars built after January 1, 1969. Before that, head rests were optional.
your car was built before that date, so it may not have head rest
Thanks very much, so is it possible it was ordered with them?

Last edited:
Yes. It was even possible to order a headrest for only one seat too. How strange is that! :moparsmiley: :lol:
thanks for the info. So great to have a place to go to that has so much knowledge..Again many thanks. Peace be with you.

thanks for the info. So great to have a place to go to that has so much knowledge..Again many thanks. Peace be with you.
1728567210682.png

I'm guessing very early 69s might not have headrests, unless they were ordered as an option. But I'll bet that immediately after they found out about them becoming mandatory, everything got headrests.
Can't have cars sitting on new car lots that can't be sold because of no headrests!

I bought my new SuperBee on February 10, 1969. I was driving past the local Dodge store, and saw it being backed off the car transporter. I went right in and bought it. It had headrests. I doubt that dealers would have to retrofit unsold '69's that were buily early enough that they did not have headrests.

I'm guessing very early 69s might not have headrests, unless they were ordered as an option. But I'll bet that immediately after they found out about them becoming mandatory, everything got headrests.
Can't have cars sitting on new car lots that can't be sold because of no headrests!
They were mandatory based on the build date not the sold date so the dealer would not have to retrofit them unless a customer wanted to add them to a car already in inventory.

1969 Dodge Charger....have Build Sheet....Dec 13th 1969 Build....no Headrests.

1968 Dodge Charger....May 5th 1968 Build Date...had headrests were ordered.

Auto Transport Service
Back