• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IS A SUPER BEE?

Non rallye dash, no grille emblem

A Super Bee is only that. It's all in the VIN number. Doesn't matter what it looks like now. WM23....

That car appears to be a coronet that had a superbee stripe added. That doesn't make it a superbee.
Still a great car though.

Regular Bee

Bumblebee.png

Super Bee

images.jpeg

:lol:

Keep in mind I'm not posting this to talk about the seller. I'm asking because I don't know what all these names you guys use for newer cars, 66 and up. I just thought something called a SB would have some special markings other then the stripe.

View attachment 1695770

View attachment 1695771
I doubt that car is a real Bee. What is the VIN #? Wrong hood (easily replaced), wrong dash (not easily replaced). Should also be a "Bee" emblem on the grill and tailpanel.

It was a way to market a cheap hot rod, you take a cheap body line and add a performance engine and stiff suspension some stickers to a b body car it is now a super B body car. It dose have its own vin designation initially they were all low-level sedans and some will consider them an afterthought the roadrunner.

Ralllye dash, bulge hood or optional Ramcharger hood, 383, standard HD suspension.

It looks like the listing on marketplace has been changed but when that car was originally posted it was listed as a Super Bee clone. No rallye dash is a giveaway though. I don't recall the name of the seller originally, so its possible someone bought this and already relisted for sale.

1969 Dodge super bee 440

1969 ADD

COOL IT

CORONET SUPER BEE

You're sitting watching the Christmas tree, when this thing with scoops on the hood throbs up. There're crazy stripes on the rear and some kind of bee. Goodbye. It's Super Bee. The scoops scoop. With its new Ramcharger Air Induction System, the vent opens, and a sudden rush of cool, dense air is the message loud and stone mientsay Famcharger turns a hot mill on by cooling it. Standard with a Hemi and optional with the 383 Magnum V8.

STANDARD SUPER BEE EQUIPMENT

• Special 4-bbl. 383-cid Magnum V8 (440 Magnum
    V8 heads, valve gear, hot cam and manifolds),
    335 hp @ 5,200 rpm • Dual exhaust
  • Hurst 4-speed with HD clutch • HD suspension
  • HD shocks • HD brakes • Dodge Charger Rallye instrument panel

OPTIONAL

• 426 Hemi—two 4-bbl. carbs—425 hp
@ 5,000 гр

REAR AXLE RATIOS

• 383 Magnum V8- standard: 3.23:1;
  • optional: 3.55:1, 3.91:1
  • Hemi—standard: 3.23:1; optional:

3.54 (with 4-speed manual), 3.55:1 (with automatic), 4.10:1 (with manual or automatic)

IMG_0383.jpeg

It was a way to market a cheap hot rod, you take a cheap body line and add a performance engine and stiff suspension some stickers to a b body car it is now a super B body car. It dose have its own vin designation initially they were all low-level sedans and some will consider them an afterthought the roadrunner.
Well, sort of Bill....
When introduced in February of 1968, the Super Bee was a direct result of the success of the new for '68 Road Runner.
Plymouth had a hit with that car and the Dodge dealers raised hell with corporate that they wanted a taste, too -
hence the Super Bee, based on the mid-level Coronet 440 model (meaning it was nicer inside than the RR's were).
The WM beginning of the VIN is exclusively WM21H8A (383 Magnum engine) or WM21J8A (hemi).
Mechancally, they are identical to the Road Runners, with the larger 11" brakes, HD suspension and etc.
Since they were based on the Coronet 440, there were no cheap interiors, no rubber floors, anything like that.

'68 Bee Trivia: There are no metal "bee" emblems on the '68 cars, only decals... not enough lead time for production
to get the metal emblems produced prior to the release of the car.

Well for one, an original 69 super bee with a 440 would have to be an A12, which that clearly ain't.
My guess? (Along with everybody else in this thread) poorly done Bee clone, from a Coronet, with an engine swap.

'68 Bee Trivia: There are no metal "bee" emblems on the '68 cars, only decals... not enough lead time for production
to get the metal emblems produced prior to the release of the car.
Love the trivia!! Thanks! So the grille and tail panel were decals as well?

Last edited:
Keep in mind I'm not posting this to talk about the seller. I'm asking because I don't know what all these names you guys use for newer cars, 66 and up. I just thought something called a SB would have some special markings other then the stripe.

View attachment 1695770

View attachment 1695771
This is not a Super Bee. Super Bee had the Rallye dash and the other things mentioned in this post. Someone added the stripe.

Well, sort of Bill....
When introduced in February of 1968, the Super Bee was a direct result of the success of the new for '68 Road Runner.
Plymouth had a hit with that car and the Dodge dealers raised hell with corporate that they wanted a taste, too -
hence the Super Bee, based on the mid-level Coronet 440 model (meaning it was nicer inside than the RR's were).
The WM beginning of the VIN is exclusively WM21H8A (383 Magnum engine) or WM21J8A (hemi).
Mechancally, they are identical to the Road Runners, with the larger 11" brakes, HD suspension and etc.
Since they were based on the Coronet 440, there were no cheap interiors, no rubber floors, anything like that.
Exactly. I remember when these came out. The road runner was an unexpected hit, so Dodge formulated their own "cartoon" character based on the "B" BODY. What was nice about these, it had the gauge dash, while the RR had the horizontal type. A friend Glen had the same color car as that ad. { Edit: corrected for actual origination of model }

Last edited:
Well for one, an original 69 super bee with a 440 would have to be an A12, which that clearly ain't.
My guess? (Along with everybody else in this thread) poorly done Bee clone, from a Coronet, with an engine swap.
True. Looks to be a perfectly servieable vehicle as it stands, though. Could be fun.
Hell, what am I saying? It's a dang big block Mopar, of COURSE it's fun. :thumbsup:

Exactly. I remember when these came out. The road runner was an unexpected hit, so Dodge formulated their own "cartoon" character based on the "B" engine. What was nice about these, it had the gauge dash, while the RR had the horizontal type. A friend Glen had the same color car as that ad.
Yep, the Bee came standard with upgrades all over the place over the RR - and it cost a couple hundred more as a
result.

Auto Transport Service
Back