• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doom and Gloom...

myk r sanchez

Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
So, during the layoff I've been driving my Charger quite a bit; however I've also started to think about the sky-high prices that 2nd Gens command these days, although I never really gave that much thought.

Now, heaven forbid, in the event of a total loss, I'm thinking about how much money it's going to take to put me into another car that's at least in as good of a shape as the Charger I have now. My concern is that if I ever have to replace my buddy I'm going to be priced right out of the game because of the market for these cars. I'm not sure if my Hagerty agreed value is up to speed.

So, if I was in the market for a Charger that's like my own, a straight, solid, daily driver capable, rust free, mildly 'modded, good paint and interior car that is no concourse correct show car but is a solid driver, how much would I need to get rolling again? I could also ask, how much should my agreed value with Hagerty be at this point for my own Charger? Because my car is far from factory correct, how far would companies like Hagerty be willing to insure my car for? I'm a person of modest means and I wouldn't be able to cough up an extra pile of cash if my insurance policy was inadequate. I don't like thinking along these lines, but I've gotta be prepared. Here's to hoping I never have to deal with this stuff...

I have Haggerty and I insured mine at $50,000.

For a rust free second gen Charger that daily drives great, I would insure it for 50K minimun. I would even think of bumping it up to 60K to be safe. Take a good look what is out there for sale to compare current prices and remember that most of them have issues. I have Grundy for insurance and they will insure for an agreed upon value that I set for each car, no questions asked. Would think that Hagerty is the same.

Insurance is a game.Sometimes you win but most of the time you loose.Let's just hope you never have to find out.
Playing the "What's it worth ?" game,(Not talking insurance) I have found that what ever you sell your car for,to replace it with a car of same condition and value you will spend more.Now yes, there are some that have beat the game but I'd bet that may only happen 1% of the time.The thing is watching the peaks and valley's in the automotive market.

I have mine insured at 35K as a painted shell right now and am going to bump it to 70K when finished in the next few months. For $315 per month it isn't worth worrying about what could happen even sitting inside your own garage.

I have mine insured at 35K as a painted shell right now and am going to bump it to 70K when finished in the next few months. For $315 per month it isn't worth worrying about what could happen even sitting inside your own garage.
Hope you mean $315/year?

For a 1969 Charger base model:

upload_2020-4-20_11-12-29.png

I have my '69 at 50k with Hagerty. I raised it by 10k a few years ago and they didn't bat an eye.

Just insure the car properly and drive it carefully. These cars have zero side impact protection, be careful when pulling out into traffic, or the car might be the least of your problems.

I have Haggerty and I insured mine at $50,000.

That's where I'm at right now. I figure that it would take me about $50K just to get into a Charger on the same level as mine; but then I'd have to spend at least another $10K for all of the modifications that I currently have on mine.

Hope you mean $315/year?

Lol yeah I wish. My regular car insurance policy is about $280 a month because of my other cars. Hagerty has me at about $400 a year.

Just insure the car properly and drive it carefully. These cars have zero side impact protection, be careful when pulling out into traffic, or the car might be the least of your problems.

Yeah what worries me, especially from what I've experienced as of late because I'm driving the Charger more, is the go-kart mentality and behaviors I see out on the roads. No joke, I think the average speed on the freeways these days is about 80-90. After being rear-ended and having the car in a shop for almost a year to fix it, my primary concern is other drivers; although my questionable driving might be a problem too lol.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll call Hagerty and see if I can get the policy up to $60K. I'm HOPING that would be enough; furthermore I'm hoping I'll never have to use it. Do you guys think I'll need an appraisal for that amount?

Need some pictures to get a fair idea of the value.

Auto Transport Service
Back