• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door rubs/pops on bracket hinge?

Thirdeye00

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I just got my 66 Belvedere back to running. It been sitting for 23 years. My passenger side door pops every time its open or closed. The hinge is rubbing against that "bend rod". On the driver side the "bend rod" stays with in that slot unlike the passenger side. The rod does not stay in that hinge slot. I am unsure what to do to fix this issue.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

lubricate the wheels, and free them up; they need to spin and ride on the bar

If the star wheel doesn't move (seized) then spray with either pb blaster, or something that will possibly unfreeze it, if it doesn't spin.
Other than that, may be necessary to replace that lower hinge with a good used, or a new one.

OK thank you. I spray some silicone lubricant last night but it didn't help. I will clean the wheels up and re-lubricant everything. I was wanted to make sure it wasn't something bend or what not.

put vice grips on them if you can, and break them free........ hit em with a hammer and chisel....... torch, whatever lol......... what ever it takes

Tri flow is a great product.

Silicone won't do it get a penetrant on it and let it soak, grasp the wheel with water pump pliers and work it loose with more penetrant on it.

Now go lube ALL your door and hood hinges on every car you own.

And don't use WD40: it's crap too.

4C05F770-45D0-481B-96A8-4F6009FBDC7A.jpeg

B960023C-1552-47E3-9FB6-FE60E722DA64.jpeg

Last edited:
Or we can rebuild them back to new function. Frozen door check rollers are very common.

A B LWER HINGE REBUILT 1.jpg

Attachments

• Scan_20240528 (2).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • DOOR-HINGE-REBUILD-PROCEDURE 2022.pdf
    152.9 KB · Views: 50
Auto Transport Service
Back