• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door window mod, Has anyone done this?

Dooner

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
It has been quite a while since I have heard about this, but somewhere I heard of people taking out the vent windows in the doors and replacing the whole window with one solid piece that covers the whole opening. I hope that makes sense. I think they called it a "California Window" or something like that.
Has anyone here done this or seen it done? I was wondering how much trouble it is, and where do you get parts to do this.

Thanks for any info.

Harold

W32.jpgW31.jpgW30.jpgW33.jpg
It has been quite a while since I have heard about this, but somewhere I heard of people taking out the vent windows in the doors and replacing the whole window with one solid piece that covers the whole opening. I hope that makes sense. I think they called it a "California Window" or something like that.
Has anyone here done this or seen it done? I was wondering how much trouble it is, and where do you get parts to do this.

Thanks for any info.

Harold

I thought about doing on my 64 Belvedere post for weight reduction. Once I got into it there was more to it than I thought. The window goes forward when it goes down. The vent is the track so it would require a new front track . I'm not sure there is enough room for the window to go forward in the door which might require a new rear track as well. Here's a picture of the inside of mine with the track modified to keep 1/8" Lexan square in the track.
Doug

I did a little searching on the subject and found that it seems to be more of a chevy thing. The vent windows in the late 50s chevys seem to be more rectangle than triangle, so the window does not have to move forward when it comes down.
I think when I get to this point, I will try to replace mine with a solid window. I really don't care for the vents, and I will have AC for the hot days. I'll try to remember to post about it when I do.
Thanks guys

If one wanted the ventless couldnt you just modify the guts from lets say a 71 up bbody or even 73 or so a body? They were ventless.

I like vents personally though

The vent window is so much the very character of the older cars of this era as the very divided front glass was of its predecessor. To me those that remove the center divider and installed a butt joint or a v-glass has committed a sin against the very car they worship...but again that is just my opinion...just like some cars look naked without trim and even the radio aerial is part of the overall aesthetics..you can to what you wish...it is not unheard of but quickly will move you very classic body away from stock to that of a custom...some like that..others do not...there is a market for both..

Auto Transport Service
Back