• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Down at the boat launch

The guy with the Jeep, what a moron. Ok I'm in trouble.Lets get out and see...
That had to be humiliating. With my temper, 10 minutes of failing would be MORE than enough to encourage me to leave. That dork was at it well over 20 minutes.

Most people are just as bad ON the water as they are on the docks. Ran into many ******** over the years. Came across this vintage photo of where we launch our boat at Raystown Lake.
230A7B2D-FB83-4B68-B367-203E5A187174.jpeg
I saw this GTX in a article my dad shared.

F05366FB-51F0-4086-BD51-12F637D1464F.jpeg

I don't understand these people. I was taught and have taught a half dozen people in my life how to do this. The longer the boat the easier. I would take people to an empty parking lot and make them drive around backwards till they got it. No going forwards, just backwards in an open parking lot. If you can back around in a parking lot and get it between the lines of the parking spots a few times you're ready for the show. If we were there for an hour, so be it. I never let them go the first few times by themselves, I'd play back up in case they just freaked out and froze. The fear of looking stupid can take the wind right out of your sails and sour a person and a good time pretty fast.

@Hey-O , totally agree and do the same. Then I have them back down the launch a few times on weekdays when no one is around to get familiar w the launch. As you said, makes for a much better day.

I love boat ramps! Always entertaining .. I ran a hook for years and visited a few.. Some folks don’t belong near one. They need to admit it before they cause a disaster, I’d rather help someone put it in the water than watch them sink the family car/ truck.

@Hey-O , totally agree and do the same. Then I have them back down the launch a few times on weekdays when no one is around to get familiar w the launch. As you said, makes for a much better day.

Its the people who would never even think of doing this and who think they own the ramp for an hour on the busiest ramp days of the year that cause the grief and long ramp lines...

When I was a teenager Dad had a 70 318 Challenger and we pulled a 19' Dorsett San Juan day cruiser with it. Just the boat weighed more than the car.
We ramped on the main channel of the Mississippi River. The ramp was quite steep and had the customary drop off.
One day we watched a guy try to get his 16' runabout out of the water. He gathered a crowd watching the comedy.
Being the smart aleck Dad could be he asked the guy if the guy would like "the kid" to do it. The guy got mad and kept trying. It was close to our turn wo Dad threw me the keys and told me to get the car. The guy finally got the boat out and I backed the trailer into the water next to him. He looked at me and said, "no way". I smiled, got in the boat and drove it onto the trailer hood up the winch wnugged it up, got in the car and drove it up the ramp, pretty as ya please, with hardly any tire slip. The crowd was flabbergasted. I got out and the guy commented how the kid pulled that big, heavy boat out with the little Dodge and his truck couldn't do it. I told him, "My dad asked if ya wanted me to do it. Ya should have accepted".
The harbormaster told the guy that wasn't the first time.
It's all in the technique.

Its the people who would never even think of doing this and who think they own the ramp for an hour on the busiest ramp days of the year that cause the grief and long ramp lines...
Same ones who load the boat on the ramp instead of in the parking lot or "ready lane". Ramp is to back down, put boat in or out and move" Not to load with ice chests n passengers etc.

I was unloading my boat once, looked back before starting it and there was 2 kids swimming behind it. The parents were watching them like no big deal. After I let the parents have it They finally left. My 14 son was backing up the boat. We could always be in or out In less than a minute

Auto Transport Service
Back