• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Down at the boat launch

Watched a guy get on I-10 once with a huge boat with the Bimini top still open and once he got up to speed the top started lifting and shredded the top and frame and what was left beat the hell out of it as he drove on down the interstate. People were trying to get his attention but never could.

In the 70s we used Mom's Ford LTD to tow the boat to the lake; Dad drove the motorhome. The ramp was crowded so Dad went off a bit too far to one side and slipped off the concrete about a foot down. Filled the trunk and back seat with lake water.

Not really looking for a mishap, was just looking to see it in the water.
The videos are pretty cool !

Had it in the water for the summer and in the fall, I gave it a good cleaning and polishing.

5A01A612-D337-4AEB-91B8-46779A155451.jpeg

492BCBB7-D6E1-479C-813A-04DFC372966B.jpeg

Years ago I drove to the local lake at the end of the day just to watch the drunks try to get their boats loaded on a July 4th holiday. Funny stuff but no one sunk their tow vehicle although one guy almost did. A few years later a guy at work got ran over by his own truck (a 4 door Ford diesel long bed) when he fell out while leaning out of the door so he could get a better view of what he was doing while backing down the ramp. Yeah, he was drunk. Luckily his wife had enough snap to slide over to step on the brake before the made it completely into the water. She wasn't drunk lol

I smashed my trailer light into the dock once, not my fault though, a girl in a bikini distracted me.
:D.
I get upset when you try to trailer up and someone whips in and it takes 10 minutes to ready their boat and they block the launch then another 10 minutes to park and comeback. Nobody seems to know boats coming off have preference. Wife makes sure I don't come unglued. I live 2 blocks from my launch, one guy took so long I walked home and got a beer and he was still ******* around with his pontoon.

BTW, why do boats have the steering wheel on the right side?
Surprisingly, there are a lot of reasons why steering wheels on boats are on the right side. Various technical and conventional reasons, lookout theories, and even international disciplines come together and keep the steering wheels of boats on starboard.

Technical Reasons

The propeller issue is one of the main reasons why steering wheels are located on the right side. As propellers spin clockwise, this motion tends to put the left side down. The port side is then pushed by around 2 to 3 degrees physically. In turn, the right side of the boat will significantly rise out. The weight of the one behind the steering wheel may prevent this rise and keep the ship afloat.

Other technical controls are also placed on this side to keep better management when the port side is pushed down.

Adequate Lookout

Based on the International Maritime Organization rules, rule No. 5 states that each vessel should have an adequate lookout in hearing and sight.

Maritime professionals suggest that this lookout view should be fair enough from the bow to the vessel’s aft. And this view is on starboard. That is also why most controls of the boat are on this site, for greater visibility.

International Water Traffic

The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea stated that water traffic is mainly right-hand traffic compared to regular driving. Steering wheels are stationed starboard for this reason. When on a narrow water path, vessels must keep right.

Conventional Reasons

As most sailors traditionally placed their paddles on the right side, it gradually became customary to keep the later oars, and eventually, steering wheels on the right side. Right-handed sailors are more comfortable with this setup as they passed on this tradition from generation to generation.

https://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/why-are-boat-steering-wheels-on-the-right/

I fished BASS tournaments for over 20 years and owned a 20’ Bass Cat Jaguar with a 250 XP on it, very fast! I had a lot of great times watching “ holiday” boaters launching and pulling out their boats. Lots of sunk trucks with empty trailers, hours of laughs!

I used to put this 23" boat in the water in 2 minutes... Backed it in, hopped in the boat and backed it off the trailer, GF parked the truck/trailer, picked her up at the dock.... Easy schmeezy.....
DSCF0225.JPG

Some people do not have the "backup " gene...

Yeah the boat ramp can be cheap entertainment for sure
as long as you're not waiting on that dumbass trying to learn

it really is amusing watching some people
lack of backing up 'a trailer' skills, then the arguments :D

B O A T
Break Out Another Thousand

2 best days in a boaters life,
the day you bought it & the day you sold it

My bros Tim & I would watch people at lunch a lot
down at the Antioch public boat launching ramps

Most problems were people, in a hurry &/or forgetting
to put the drain plug back in before launching