• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropped a valve cover bolt

Joe’sMoparMess

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
How do I get it out? I have a performance 440 intake manifold that has these great air gaps. I’m an idiot and dropped a bale cover bolt down into one. Any ideas on what I need to remove to get it?

319D38D2-9437-4642-9A9E-36C75CDB963E.jpeg DE829B83-F26D-4D75-929C-FF117A438FC0.jpeg

A magnet. But I don’t think that drops into the bottom end. One of those telescoping magnets will get it. You may have to bend it to work.

Like 440 said, find a small diameter telescoping magnet. That hole doesn't go anywhere if you can't get it.

20160508_143615.jpg

Some screwdriver tips are magnetic. Test on another bolt on the workbench. Place a rag next to the valve springs to cover the pushrod holes so you don't drop it down there when you get it out.

Happy Fishing!

Fold a paper towel sorta in a shape to go into the crevice. Spread Indian Head on the front surface. Let it get tacky. Slowly push the paper towel in, slowly pull out. ( As one may surmise, something yours truly experienced ).

As Stanton mentioned, it won't hurt anything if you can't get it out..

Shop vac and a stiff wire with a small hook on the end has worked for me.

It just fell in there, it wasn’t pounded in there. Now it will come out easily with a small magnet on a stick.

You aren’t the first or last person the do this!

It just fell in there, it wasn’t pounded in there. Now it will come out easily with a small magnet on a stick.

You aren’t the first or last person the do this!

I agree with this, point of my post above is when I was young & dropped a throttle linkage clip in the hole & wasn't able to retrieve it I had no idea if the hole was an open passage to destruction, I was concerned that I had made a serious mistake.... Later I learned it's just a dead air space & doesn't go anywhere....

Yeah - I have a couple different size telescoping magnets and one of those extended spring grabbers that has done me well...like dropping a trim screw down the cowling opening..grrr

Fold a paper towel sorta in a shape to go into the crevice. Spread Indian Head on the front surface. Let it get tacky. Slowly push the paper towel in, slowly pull out. ( As one may surmise, something yours truly experienced ).

If you put Indian head near the heat cross over, its going to smoke like a bitch when you start it!!

Thanks everyone, glad to know it is not the end of the world. I will try some different magnets (tried a couple different ones yesterday) and see if I have success.

Not to wish bad things on anyone else, but sometimes it's OK to see I'm not the only one this crap happens to!

At least you know where it went

It’s the bolts and nuts that you drop , and don’t know where they went

Auto Transport Service
Back