• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early GTX style stripes on a 73

zdillinger

Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Gents,

I'm looking to add a little something to my 73 Satellite. The plain red is nice and all, but I'd like to dress it up a little. Thanks to Ron 73, I put a little piece of chrome on the front end, which looks great!, and then I added some chrome wheel well moldings, but I was thinking about a stripe. However, I'm not a big fan of the RR stripe from this time period. Has anyone ever seen a GTX style stripe on this type of car? I was thinking a pair of narrow stripes, in line with eac of the inside headlights (which just so happens to correspond with the stamped line in the hood), straight back to the windshield, skip the roof, then back again down the decklid.

What do you think?

not sure if i can picture it...IMHO, i think the side stripes might look better, like the 68's from the fender to the quarter...modified of course. just my opinion. Good luck!

I kind of like these myself. There is so many types of stripes available its unreal, If you did a search at Year one for the different stripe kits they have you may get some ideas..
mopp_101207_012011_dodge_challenger.gif

imagesqtbnANd9GcQrOXSeoyIGX2JSH3dDI.gif

IMO, the 67 stripes don't suit the 71-74 body style.

I think the factory got it right 99% of the time on paint and stripes.

I'd say factory 73/74 RR stripe or 71/72 RR strobe.

Although I do think the 70 RR cartoon and dust trail might work, and I also like the 71/09 and up stripe to the back window.

I wonder if anyone makes a custom Satellite graphic to replace the Road Runner emblem on the '73 stripe. I really don't want to make a clone, but a RR stripe with custom emblem might be ok. I'll have to investigate.

As for the '67 GTX stripe, I guess I'm just thinking outside the box a little. Plus I really, really want a '67 GTX, but alas no money / time for one...

You didn't state what year GTX you were considering. I'm guessing from a `67? They may be a bit too narrow for that expansive hood on your ride. I like djais1801's idea of the side stripes. There are multiple versions...one right down the center(1970?), the other along the lower half(1968/ 69?). I like the ones designed for your body style...up over the fender and to the center of hood (solid for `71 and strobe for `72). Below is a link for those looking for a visual.

http://www.graphic-express.com/c_plymouth_GTX_0_directory.asp

Here's an idea: Mock up your own stripe designs!

Stretch out long strips painter's tape, not on the car of course, and paint it (just a light coat!) the stripe color you are considering. Then play with different widths/ locations/ shapes on your car. Tacked down lightly, painter's tape peels up pretty easy and can be stuck back down multiple times. It will set you back the cost of a can of cheap Krylon and a couple rolls of tape. That can't be more than $10. Do some in 1" wide and some in 3" wide.

With custom screen printing and the popularity of auto "wraps", you can probably get almost any design you want, and cheap.

How about some colored enginerring drawings or artists conceptions of actual satellites- the kind that orbit the earth.

...or take one of those and go see a caracature artist at a street fair and have a cartoon version made.

How's that for outa the box? (well, technically I guess it's 100% in the target box, eh?)

Thanks guys, for all the fantastic ideas. I'm going to try Dako's idea of painting the painters tape and mocking it up. I'll see if I can come up with something. And I definitely want a custom Satellite logo, if I do the 73 RR stripes.

Or, I just might go with a canopy vinyl roof. That would add something cool to the car. Gotta find a source for that if I go that way.

Thanks guys, for all the fantastic ideas. I'm going to try Dako's idea of painting the painters tape and mocking it up. I'll see if I can come up with something. And I definitely want a custom Satellite logo, if I do the 73 RR stripes.

Or, I just might go with a canopy vinyl roof. That would add something cool to the car. Gotta find a source for that if I go that way.

When you get ready for the Satellite logo if you go that way, let me know. I know a lady that can make up one and she can work on it with you, so to speak.. Vinyl top really sounds cool to! That lady is making me a decal, I came to know her from my son in law who helps a guy in Ohio as he builds GTOs, Im told she is real good.. Just a offer if you need it! Good luck..

Here's some decent ones.

I actually had this idea about 1990.

Attachments

• 12-540s08.jpg
    12-540s08.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 307
  • can-stock-photo_csp0090804.jpg
    can-stock-photo_csp0090804.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 293
  • can-stock-photo_csp2002554.jpg
    can-stock-photo_csp2002554.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 289
  • n7art.gif
    n7art.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 319
  • RCRX_1739_10-28-07.jpg
    RCRX_1739_10-28-07.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 294
Those are some great images to work with. Thanks YY1! I'm sure I'm not the first to have this idea. I just don't want to clone my car, I'm proud to own a Satellite, but the RR stripe with a satellite logo would be fine.

As do I, but I wonder if it would look weird with the stock Satellite hood, not the 'nostril' hood from the Bird.
i'm not sure how it would look w/out the nostrils either..maybe it would with center section of hood painted as well...like mine.

Cool ideas! I'm always trying to come up with little ways to make my Charger stand out. As far as custom satellite logos, I'm all about simplicity... how about something like this? I'd go with different colors, but the design is pretty cool.

Attachments

• satty.jpg
    satty.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 216
I'm putting the standard stripes on mine, but the inner stripe will be white and the outer stripe will be Steelers gold, so I'll have a two-tone stripe job. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back