• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastwood Welder

Kid, I'm up to 3:50 strength with reading glasses. My eyes seem to be going downhill fast. The last pipe test i took was about 4 or 5 years ago and although i passed it was hard because i had some trouble seeing especially when i was crowning it out. My whole thing with that post is i need more light when I'm not welding just to see were i am welding. I also have to change the clear lenses way more often as i need them really clean. If i don't have my reading glasses on i cant weld or see anything... What shade lens are you using??

- - - Updated - - -

You may be right about the light as far as being able to see,i just haven't noticed it to be a big difference and may be more of a factor with a darker lenses.

I've graduated to a 9 shade but 10 is ok too. Thats not good! Auto and my regular both have the large lenses. The large really helps with out of position welding with bifocals. I have the progressive (no lines) glasses that I think are better. I have my optometrist raise the transition up a little in my prescriptions. That helped too. I've always been nearsighted and had to add the bifocal when I turned 45yr.
Sucks getting old but I've figured out a few tricks along the way. Also I'm welding mostly indoors the last 15 years. Outside wasn't a problem seeing what I was doing.

BTW I like the gold lense in my regular helment. I know a lot of guys don't but I like the color difference for seeing in the puddle better. Kind of a reddish filter instead of green.

Seeing problem fixed. Bought a new helmet and it works great. Visibility is fantastic. Pricey but well work it.

Jackson BH-3.

Well that works but, you still need to clean the lenses frequently because smoke, dirt and sweat will build up even between the lenses so before you know it you can't see clearly again. Different weld processes and amp range will also change your shade choice a bit. Yes make sure you can see clear as day at the work piece prior to starting. Working outside in the bright sun light shade 9 works best for me.

I like my older Jackson Trusight (Arc Angel paint job), but it is getting pretty beat up. I bought boxes of the inner and outer lens covers.
SMAW (stick welding) spatter will take its toll on the lense covers and the paint job on the Helmet.
Probably not much of an issue for lower current GMAW in weld positions 1-3?

I might have to try out the BH3. Not sure what the Balder technology is? Anyhow, the Lens covers are less expensive. Pack of 10 only $12 vs $22.60 for the Trusight.

Dumped the flux core and bought C-25 gas. A world of difference. I can see again.

Can stainless steel exhaust be welded with standard mig wire and C-25. Small job, welding on cutoffs.

Thanks
Jack

Auto Transport Service
Back