• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Story Time - How a "Great Deal" Humbled Me Instead

When you're a true believer things will happen and you don't ask why, you just do it.

:thumbsup:
That's well said and prompted me to tell you this story, sorry Ed. This has nothing to do with me or look at me and I only repeat it because it brought me a ton of happiness.

When my son passed away he left a girlfriend, a VERY close girlfriend. I loved her with all my heart and always will. After all these years she married a guy that looks and acts like my son and I know that's not by mistake. I love him also and the two are great together, although she will always miss my son and she has said as much, to many times. He knows nothing about how close they were and it's better that way. They both have great parents and I stay out of the way unless I'm asked, their kids, not mine and I'm not an intruder. It's none of their business if I help the kids as long as they don't know, that's a prerequisite in me doing this. After selling my last condo flip, I bought them a three car brick garage and new driveway. It was the funnest thing in the world to watch and their families have no idea, and as parents they were very proud of them and that's the best thing about it. My reward, they both cried like a baby and it's our secret. My daughters, be damned, it's none of their business and they'll never know.................. As stupid as this sounds, I did it for my son, he still guides me and that makes me very happy. Do I have a psychological problem, probably, but you guys already know that. Please take this story as it was intended to be, a good day for them and yes, me.......

Last edited:
That's well said and prompted me to tell you this story, sorry Ed. This has nothing to do with me or look at me and I only repeat it because it brought me a ton of happiness.

When my son passed away he left a girlfriend, a VERY close girlfriend. I loved her with all my heart and always will. After all these years she married a guy that looks and acts like my son and I know that's not by mistake. I love him also and the two are great together, although she will always miss my son and she has said as much, to many times. He knows nothing about how close they were and it's better that way. They both have great parents and I stay out of the way unless I'm asked, their kids, not mine and I'm not an intruder. It's none of their business if I help the kids as long as they don't know, that's a prerequisite in me doing this. After selling my last condo flip, I bought them a three car brick garage and new driveway. It was the funnest thing in the world to watch and their families have no idea, and as parents they were very proud of them and that's the best thing about it. My reward, they both cried like a baby and it's our secret. My daughters, be damned, it's none of their business and they'll never know.................. As stupid as this sounds, I did it for my son, he still guides me and that makes me very happy. Do I have a psychological problem, probably, but you guys already know that. Please take this story as it was intended to be, a good day for them and yes, me.......
That's quite the story sir - and a wonderful example of what I at least believe is the "prime directive" humans have
for existing - namely, we're here for one another. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

Nice move, Ulli.
I love to help others when I can. The ones that appreciate it make it worthwhile. The ones who felt entitled are like a kick to the gut.

That's quite the story sir - and a wonderful example of what I at least believe is the "prime directive" humans have
for existing - namely, we're here for one another. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

Nice move, Ulli.
I love to help others when I can. The ones that appreciate it make it worthwhile. The ones who felt entitled are like a kick to the gut.
Ed,
Helping people is a gift, the price is irrelevant. It's always about the thought.

Greg,
It's funny you mention those that feel they're entitled are like a kick to the gut, you're spot on. I'll give till it hurts or put a foot up your a**, depending on the person's attitude. @Pops1967GTX brought up a quote, a while back, about the harsh reality of human relationships. I've dropped many people in my life that have no concept of how the system works. It's not about giving back to me, it's about remembering to pay it forward to anyone in need, after you were in need. Before I showed up here, I had just completed thinning the herd in my life. It left many confused, because me not giving to all was out of character and to those that felt entitled, the blow was life changing. I now embrace those left or those I find along the way and these two are very important to me. They ask for nothing and are here for Theresa and I, if needed. There's no need for me to drag my whole life story into this, but there is a life lesson here to be remembered and this is the quote that needs to be watched.

Once the rain is over, an umbrella becomes a burden to everyone. That’s how loyalty ends when benefits stop.

...My jaw drops and that feeling of being called upon hits me right upside the head this time; no mistaking it now!

(Yep Ed, you were sent - but not because of some horse-tradin' prowess, you jerk).

I just grin and say "no, it's not...." as we drive away, seeing the three of them waving in my rearview mirror.

I often call those moments "Godwinks", as if God is winking at me saying "You're right where I want you at this moment, kid".
It's sort of confirmation that I made the right choice.
Thanks for sharing that with us, Ed.
I believe it proves that not all hope is lost in a world that too often is portrayed or perceived as being too far gone.
Way to go man :thumbsup:

Awesome ED.
This forum and the world is a better place with you in it.
Perfect ending to your story, and so glad you could help someone in need.
Everyone down south needs a little help right about now.

Thanks for another great story Ed; and additions to it from like minded folks. There should be a "Sticky" for these types of stories with compassion for other people in day to day living!
:luvplace:

Awesome ED.
This forum and the world is a better place with you in it.
Perfect ending to your story, and so glad you could help someone in need.
Everyone down south needs a little help right about now.
Thanks, but I'll tell you what....
Donating and all that usual stuff aside, I'd been feeling pretty useless in the whole hurricane relief thing, wishing I could
do more....
Reckon He found a way for me to? :)

Thanks for another great story Ed; and additions to it from like minded folks. There should be a "Sticky" for these types of stories with compassion for other people in day to day living!
:luvplace:
amen.png

Ed , your story brought tears to my eyes. As a person who has lived through a natural disaster, It brought up a lot of old memories both good and bad. The world needs more people in it like you.

Ed , your story brought tears to my eyes. As a person who has lived through a natural disaster, It brought up a lot of old memories both good and bad. The world needs more people in it like you.
Ah heck, I just bought some tires is all... :)

Auto Transport Service
Back