• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Choke wiring location?

Flash

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Installing an electric choke on my 72 Charger with 318.

I've read about using a wire off the alternator, one side of the ballast or using the acc on the fuse block.

What's the best option? What connector would I use with either the alternator wire or ballast wire?

Appyany advice!

Screenshot_20240619-033012.png

PXL_20240619_023614337~2.jpg

PXL_20240619_023626885~2.jpg

I would advise against tying it into the ignition. It w
ould be just as easy to run a wire from the ACC terminal to it under the hood.

Factory Service Manual shows the electric choke gets power from " SWITCHED RUN" voltage. Easiest place to pick that up in the engine bay is at the input side of the ballast resistor.

I would advise against tying it into the ignition. It w
ould be just as easy to run a wire from the ACC terminal to it under the hood.
Yeah that was my plan, but was curious if other locations were better.

Factory Service Manual shows the electric choke gets power from " SWITCHED RUN" voltage. Easiest place to pick that up in the engine bay is at the input side of the ballast resistor.
I was looking through the FSM, but couldn't find the info. Could you share the page?

I forgot to point out that info is from the '74 Charger FSM. I'm pretty sure it's the same for yours :)

Just located a '72 engine bay wiring diagram. It does not show electric choke anywhere. Could be not available then. Sill would use the "RUN" power to ballast source.

Yeah that was my plan, but was curious if other locations were better.
No......WHY Are you adding an electric choke to a DIVORCED COIL CHOKE ASSEMBLY on a 318 engine???.....unless you are installing an after market carb.....like Edelbrock (aka "eddy") Carter after market. What was wrong with the Original Mopar setup? Fixing something that doesn't need fixing???? Just curious.......
BOB RENTON

Double Blue wire side of ballast resistor for HOT side of choke. Ground wire can simply be run to carb top screw.

EZ connection, input side of the ballast resistor...
Get one of these from Napa or Amazon...

Just my $0.02.... :thumbsup:

shopping.jpeg

Assuming an aftermarket carb with electric choke. 1973 was the first year for factory electrically assisted choke systems, won’t find it in the ’72 FSM. As mentioned, ignition 1 is the correct circuit to tap into. Dark blue wires in the engine harness. Can access them at the ballast resistor, dark blue alternator field wired, and the voltage regulator. Common too, there could be an extra lead on the harness for an idle solenoid. The fuse box tap is Accessory, don’t really want the choke heating up in acc.

No......WHY Are you adding an electric choke to a DIVORCED COIL CHOKE ASSEMBLY on a 318 engine???.....unless you are installing an after market carb.....like Edelbrock (aka "eddy") Carter after market. What was wrong with the Original Mopar setup? Fixing something that doesn't need fixing???? Just curious.......
BOB RE

I dont have the original carb, have an AVS2 with electric choke.

What happened to the original choke wire?
It should run from the Ign side of the ballast resistor over to the thermal switch bolted to the intake and then to the choke stove.
just extend it to the carb.

What happened to the original choke wire?
It should run from the Ign side of the ballast resistor over to the thermal switch bolted to the intake and then to the choke stove.
just extend it to the carb.
Did you read any of the previous posts? #11

Call me crazy, but I have 4 cars with electric chokes, none of which are hooked up. I've never had a problem getting them to start in any weather. Granted I do have to sit there with my foot on the gas until they warm up, but for me the best part of having these cars is getting them to start and hearing them run.

Did you read any of the previous posts? #11
kinda strange because both of my '72s have the electric assist with the thermal switch bolted to an intake bolt on the 400 and to a threaded hole on the slant six head

kinda strange because both of my '72s have the electric assist with the thermal switch bolted to an intake bolt on the 400 and to a threaded hole on the slant six head
Definitely something miss-matched there, I’d be checking casting numbers/dates if that’s the case. Again, there were no electrically assisted divorced chokes and choke controls before ’73 from the factory, well documented. Both system type descriptions are on page 1 of section 14 of both years FSM. The intake choke well castings are different, manifold castings changed as well in ‘73.

Auto Transport Service
Back