• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Block Stamping

I would agree these are 'born with' parts.

I'm surprised there is no casting date. That mold is a 4 and mine is a 5. My build date was 11/14, this confirms the mold is prior to one.

Only other thing you could possibly confirm on the trans is the casing circles with the date 66 in it.

Nice find on the Julian date too. Mine was wrong using the typical numbers. I'll try the 1 in front of the the first 3 numbers and see if it works out for me too.

Thx!

The shipping date of 9/13/66 is from the letter from the Chrysler Historical Society where they decoded the IBM build card They do not give an actual build date, just the shipping date for some reason. If the engine was built 8/31/66 and the transmission was built 8/6/66 that all syncs with a build date just prior to the ship date of 9/13/66.
I found a Mopar 10,000 day calendar decoder online to convert the transmission date stamp to the 8/6/66 date. This should be an eight digit production date and production sequence number. That is how I determined the first missing diget was a 1. Since the transmission serial number was only built for the 67 and 68 model year, this narrowed down that the first digit missing had to be a 1 as well. Anything other than a 1 would not fall in these years.
Jeeze, you have to be like Indiana Jones to decode these things. I guess that is why there is only one Galen Grovier and he is too backed up to decode anything else this century.
I understand the Chrysler Historical Society is now providing poor copies of build punch cards when available, but no longer doing decoding letters due to lack of staff to do so.
Getting into each individual date coded part on a car has to be just nuts. There are lots of them. What good is a date coded reproduction radiator or battery when it obviously was not really made on that date. I will leave that to the Corvette folks. I am not paying double or triple for a date coded fan belt or radiator hose. Even if it was real NOS, the rubber would be badly deteriorated if it just sat on a shelf for 50 years.
That said, there is a two time national winner, 991 out of 1000 point, 1969 427 4 speed real Copo Camaro currently on eBay for 150k that I would give my left nut to own.

Auto Transport Service
Back