• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine ID...361 or 383??

megaivtes

Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
Owner not sure what motor this is. Manifold identifies as a 383 2bbl intake, but I believe the intake can fit both motors?
Can anyone postive ID this from the pics?
engine2.jpg
engine1.jpg
engine3.jpg

Unfortunately, this is all online. I don't have access to the car. I was hoping to be able to use the pics and figure it out with some help here.

What year car are you looking at? Not saying that it wouldn't be the origanal engine.

motor is in a 66 belvedere. Door tag is a D code (273 2bbl). Swapped out at some point.

Those two engines are so similar in appearance the only way to tell would be the stamp on the ID pad under the distributor. There is nothing wrong with owning either engine.

Passenger side valve cover is not of that year and would not have been used originally on a 361.
66 was the last year for the 361 car engines.

if you search on line casting numbers for BB mopars, you will find that that the casting number #2120329 was used for a 383 in 59-60 was that typo and they meant 350?)..... and the 361 58-66, same block, same cast #, all B engines. . B engines, and someone correct this old fart if wrong ..... were, externally the same . talking 350, 363, 383, 400's.
years back I sw a "homemade" wagon hotrod running a 361 that ran like a striped a** ape. give me all the ones (361) no one wants FREE! ha

I may be way out of line here, but '66 seems like a real transition year. 440's started, but far as I can tell 426W's were still in some models. The transition from 361 to "new" 383 ??

Auto Transport Service
Back