• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine width

Polo62

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
How much wider is a 440 than a 400 from drivers side exhaust ports to passenger side exhaust ports thanks for any reply

Deck height on a 440 10.725, 400 9.98. Difference of .745" blueprinted.

When I measured with a tape the 440 is slightly less then 3/4" wider to where the exh bolt on.

Last edited:
The difference can be seen where the distributor clamp butts up against a boss on the 400 block, versus a pad on the taller and wider 440 block.

Deck height on a 440 10.725, 400 9.98. Difference of .745" blueprinted.

When I measured with a tape the 440 is slightly less then 3/4" wider to where the exh bolt on.
Thanks trying to figure if my c body hp manifold would clear on drivers side in a b body 70 charger

Thanks trying to figure if my c body hp manifold would clear on drivers side in a b body 70 charger
Yes, no problem on a 383 low deck B engine. I’ve had them on a 70 Sport Satellite and Coronet. Why not try to trade your C for a B manifold? Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back