• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faded Seat Belt Webbing

Mariposa Mike

Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Unknown-2.jpeg
Curious if anyone has tried to dye their seat belt material. My red belts look pink due to fading but the chrome latches look fine. I was thinking maybe a dye brushed on them might help and the correct dye would not bleed off onto what you are wearing.

Honestly I think I would spend the money and have them redone.. it’s cheap life insurance as those look aged. Imo

Have to be careful in that some dyes will bleed

When cleaning the ends up yesterday I noticed some fabric degradation and agree with you. I was just trying to save the Chrysler part numbers. This car came optioned with the front and rear belts. Going to have to research to find my options on replacement. Seems I have seen ads for that. Maybe in Hemmings.

Hi Mariposa Mike,

Owners: Bridget Thompson & Tanae Thompson
6693 S FM 14
Hawkins, TX 75765
sharonswebseatbeltrestoration.com

Not only do they do new belts, they will reproduce the sewn-on part number tags, etc.

Cheers, Tommy

Sharon is a really nice gal and does nice work, I’ve met at the Nats with her display, no disappointments.

I sent them an email today. Will advise what I learn about price but it matters if you need the chrome redone and that will extend the build by a month.

I recently got a quote for all my belts including shoulder belts, wasn't cheap, over $1200. I passed on that, but they were very nice and knowledgeable to deal with. If I wasn't knee deep in 10 other projects I might of went for it.

I replaced the belts in my 64 recently. I went to the local scrap yard, cut 2 belts out of a mini van that was almost the exact same color and size - $14 - then had an upholstery shop stich them up. Total cost about $150.

Reply mentioned for four belts $450 as long as the chrome is good. Postage both ways probably 500 ish.

Has anybody dyed them with RIT dye? Just toss 'em in a big pot of boiling water and RIT dye and wait until you get the desired saturation. People dye their clothing all the time with this. I've used it to dye nylon RC car wheels, it works pretty well and it's cheap as dirt. I doubt boiling water would harm the belts, but it would definitely obscure any white tagging or other things, that would matter to the purists.

My black seatbelts are faded, but otherwise decent condition, I'd consider RIT-dyeing them if anybody else has tried it with success.

I was kinda fishing for info that maybe someone had tried the RIT dye. But in hindsight....once agin....looking more closely at these belts they really do need new material. The material is stiff (soaking might help that) but also water had been present for some time on the floor of this car and rust had removed the galvanized finish on the ends and bolts. When trying to move the material to clean the ends it was just too stiff and full of rust to do a good job. Gotta bite the bullet I think. The chrome is good enough though. Surprisingly the retractors are good and very little rust damage on the floor.

Auto Transport Service
Back