• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farley Mowat - not just an author

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with his books, such as "Never Cry Wolf" which was made into the movie in 1983.
upload_2020-12-22_7-34-51.png

But I didn't know that he had another job, as an intelligence officer. He was responsible for sneaking a German V2 rocket away from British hands and back into Canada after the war, as told here: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...at-smuggled-a-v2-rocket-into-canada-1.5850130

Thats a very interesting read,I read every book he wrote as a youngster n dont ever remember any thing mention about his war years,I wonder if some of his books reflected those days n comparing it with the Canadian wilderness

Persona non grata in the U.S. !!!

I read "The boat who wouldn't float" and "The dog who wouldn't be". Maybe I'll read his other stuff some day.

All us good little Canucks use to read him as children. lol

Persona non grata in the U.S. !!!
Might have something to do with that whole "I'm going to start shooting at your planes" bit he pulled...
I know US intelligence was concerned with all the trips to the USSR at one point also.

Amazing war heroes are all around us, sadly there’s fewer every year.
As part of her med school training daughter does shifts at an old persons home. One of her “peeps” is a widow who worked in intelligence with her husband during the Cold War. By all appearances she’s just someone’s granny, but in her past life she was like 007’s Moneypenny.
Years ago the preacher at the Anglican Church was former British Army, disarming IRA bombs in the sixties and seventies. Fascinating stories. One of wife’s friends was a radio receiver guy, stationed at Alert in the very high arctic. Monitoring Russian radio traffic. He said the Ruskies knew that they were being listened to and were always baiting them, hoping to get a response.

Auto Transport Service
Back