• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender plate interpretation assistance respectfully requested...

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone

As the proud new owner of a 69 Chrysler Newport Convertible, I was just wondering if anyone knew how I could interpret this fender plate...

I can work out it's a 383-2b with cloth seats, but that's about it...

It also has Newport Custom badges on the car, but I thought Newport Customs only had the 383-4b... Perhaps the badges were added afterwards...

There is a tag attached to the fender plate with nothing printed on it. It has twin pipes. I'm not sure if that was standard for 383-2b vehicles of that era.

Anyway, grateful for your advice and keep up the good work :)

Daniel from Darwin - Northern Territory of Australia

IMG20240529231414.jpg

1969 CHRYSLER FRONT VIEW.jpg

IMG20240511164257.jpg

Nice car. It's a 2bbl. Looks like it was black originally if I'm reading that right.

Congratulations on acquiring your Chrysler Daniel! Condition appears to be exceptional . . . Enjoy!

Interesting to see a tag with the options out of alphabetical order.

Not real familiar with big car tags, and I'm not sure which assy plant "C" was, (I can find out), but I agree with Remcharger, looks ALL black, body, top, and inner upper door frame.
April 3 build date, I believe.
There are certainly decoders available that can tell you more. I'm sure someone here will tell you where to look.
NICE Chrysler. Wish it was mine. It'd make a great tow vehicle for my Imperial convertible, lol.
Edit Jefferson , Michigan assy plant. And CE27 is considered the economy Chrysler (LOL!). 383 2bbl confirmed also.

Last edited:
Welcome from NE of you across the pond in the central coast of Cal.

IMG_4149.jpeg

Welcome from Alabama. Car was originally black X9, black top X9, black interior X9. Looks to have an upgraded radio if I'm reading the R codes correctly.

Welcome to FBBO

Welcome from Alabama. Car was originally black X9, black top X9, black interior X9. Looks to have an upgraded radio if I'm reading the R codes correctly.
Thanks for your help mate... I think I will turn it back to black when I save enough $$$... I think it would look awesome in the original X9.... Have a great day :)

Not real familiar with big car tags, and I'm not sure which assy plant "C" was, (I can find out), but I agree with Remcharger, looks ALL black, body, top, and inner upper door frame.
April 3 build date, I believe.
There are certainly decoders available that can tell you more. I'm sure someone here will tell you where to look.
NICE Chrysler. Wish it was mine. It'd make a great tow vehicle for my Imperial convertible, lol.
Edit Jefferson , Michigan assy plant. And CE27 is considered the economy Chrysler (LOL!). 383 2bbl confirmed also.
Thanks for your reply. I originally thought it could have been a 383-4 with the twin pipes. I guess that was standard at the time for the 383-2. Probably a good thing because we have to pay $12 US per gallon at the moment... From what I have read the 383-4 used even more gasonline.

Thank you for your kind words. Some of us over here in Australia share your passion for historic Chryslers, Dodges and Plymoths.... Actually, they have started to sell a reasonable amount of new Dodge Rams over here at the moment...

Here's my input:

E61 69-70 383 CI 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32 69-71 Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
R13 69-71 Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
R31 69-71 Rear Seat Speaker(s)
P31 69-71 Power Windows
P21 69-71 Power Front Bench Seat
B51 69-71 Power Brakes
G15 69-71 Tinted Windshield
L31 70-71 Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

Here's my input:

E61 69-70 383 CI 2 barrel V8 290hp
D32 69-71 Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
R13 69-71 Deluxe AM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
R31 69-71 Rear Seat Speaker(s)
P31 69-71 Power Windows
P21 69-71 Power Front Bench Seat
B51 69-71 Power Brakes
G15 69-71 Tinted Windshield
L31 70-71 Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
Thank you mate for cracking the codes for me.

All of these features are on the vehicle (the tinted windshield being the only exception - obviously windshields require replacement from time to time.)

Some others have said it was originally finished in black (X9). If it was finished in X9, I reckon I will return it to that colour within the next few years.

The black finish is interesting. In that era, very few vehicles (if any) vehicles that were produced in Australia were finished in black. They must have been more common in the USA around that time.

Thank you for this - I would not have learned about this without your help!!!

Daniel from Darwin

Thank you mate for cracking the codes for me.

All of these features are on the vehicle (the tinted windshield being the only exception - obviously windshields require replacement from time to time.)

Some others have said it was originally finished in black (X9). If it was finished in X9, I reckon I will return it to that colour within the next few years.

The black finish is interesting. In that era, very few vehicles (if any) vehicles that were produced in Australia were finished in black. They must have been more common in the USA around that time.

Thank you for this - I would not have learned about this without your help!!!

Daniel from Darwin
Best clue to original color, (other than the broadcast/build sheet, fender tag) is under the hood. It will still be likely to be black under the hood. I doubt that anybody went to the trouble of changing factory black to the white it would be, if original color was white.

It will still be likely to be black under the hood. I doubt that anybody went to the trouble of changing factory black to the white it would be, if original color was white.
1717263921747.png
>" If you're gonna change the color, don't do it half-way"

Auto Transport Service
Back