• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender plate interpretation assistance respectfully requested...

Thank you mate for cracking the codes for me.

All of these features are on the vehicle (the tinted windshield being the only exception - obviously windshields require replacement from time to time.)

Some others have said it was originally finished in black (X9). If it was finished in X9, I reckon I will return it to that colour within the next few years.

The black finish is interesting. In that era, very few vehicles (if any) vehicles that were produced in Australia were finished in black. They must have been more common in the USA around that time.

Thank you for this - I would not have learned about this without your help!!!

Daniel from Darwin
Make sure to have the bodywork absolutely perfect before repainting it black.

Best clue to original color, (other than the broadcast/build sheet, fender tag) is under the hood. It will still be likely to be black under the hood. I doubt that anybody went to the trouble of changing factory black to the white it would be, if original color was white.
A great point... Under the hood is black... Not sure why they repainted the trunk... I suppose most drivers open the trunk a lot more often than the hood... Thanks for your advice :)

IMG20240602134405.jpg

IMG20240602134227.jpg

Wow. Talk about a color change! I wonder how hard it must have been, how many coats, to cover black with white?

Wow. Talk about a color change! I wonder how hard it must have been, how many coats, to cover black with white?
Must have been a massive job... I don't know why they would have done it in the first place... The paint is really thick even in 2024 - I reckon many coats would have been required... That would have been a lot of hours and a bunch of paint :)

Must have been a massive job... I don't know why they would have done it in the first place... The paint is really thick even in 2024 - I reckon many coats would have been required... That would have been a lot of hours and a bunch of paint :)
Agreed! If you (the Rhetorical "you",lol), don't,like black, I understand! Black is my least favorite color on my cars,
But white?!? How about jade green, nice med/dark blue or brown? Maroon?
I think white would have been my last choice to try to cover black.

Agreed! If you (the Rhetorical "you",lol), don't,like black, I understand! Black is my least favorite color on my cars,
But white?!? How about jade green, nice med/dark blue or brown? Maroon?
I think white would have been my last choice to try to cover black.
Thanks. I might look for a medium blue. This is where it gets difficult for a colour-blind person like me. But to me, white is a bit boring...

C body cars do have some black under the hood from the factory, unlike B body cars.

IIRC the inner fenders are black.

To my understanding; "C" assembly plant was the
Jefferson Plant
They built the followinmg cars for '68
I SUSPECT that '69 was pretty much the same....
"C" = Chrysler
CE - Newport, Town & Country
CL - Newport Custom
CM - Chrysler "300"
CH - Chrysler New Yorker
Y = Imperial
YM-?
YH-?

Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back