• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass Hoods

TheGodfather

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
I know this is a subject that has been discussed a few times before by others but, I'm seeking some references from you guys who actually have some experience (good or bad) with manufacturers of fiberglass hoods for 1963 Plymouth's. It is also my understanding that there is a slight difference between the 1963 and the 1964 hoods for the Plymouths?

AAR emailed me that they no longer make fiberglass hoods for the 63 model year but I've heard their quality was the best around......too bad they don't make them. VFN emailed me and said they do make them (but don't stock them) after you pay for them in advance and couldn't give me a picture or a reference for a 63 hood. Has anyone tried a VFN Hood and what's their quality like? SledCity also makes fiberglass Hoods for the 63 according to their website but, no one bothered to email me back with information? Has anyone got practical experience with SledCity hoods and what is their quality like? Are there any other companies making these hoods that fit a 63 Plymouth that you would recommend? Thank-you to all who know more than I do on this subject. The info is greatly appreciated.

I use a glass hood and scoop. But I bought the hood from a friend and dont know what brand it is. I can try to get a hold of him and find out if you like ? Ron

63front.jpg

I bought a sled city scoop for my 64 and I found it to be of pretty good quality compared to my buddies brand x ones. I also found their customer service pretty good via email and had no trouble with them.

Glass Hood & Scoop

I use a glass hood and scoop. But I bought the hood from a friend and dont know what brand it is. I can try to get a hold of him and find out if you like ? Ron

63front.jpg

Your glass hood and scoop looks really nice; I would appreciate very much if you can find out where it came from. Have you considered putting the "PLYMOUTH" lettering on the leading edge like the factory had? Or can this not be done by the nature of the glass hood? Thanks...

SledCity Fiberglass Hoods

I bought a sled city scoop for my 64 and I found it to be of pretty good quality compared to my buddies brand x ones. I also found their customer service pretty good via email and had no trouble with them.

OK that's a good reference for me. Thank-You!! I'll try and get hold of them and see what they have available. I'm just wanting a good quality glass hood that fits well and w/o the Max Wedge Scoop.

Sled city has pretty good quality and service in general. I don't think you can go wrong with them on most parts.

Your glass hood and scoop looks really nice; I would appreciate very much if you can find out where it came from. Have you considered putting the "PLYMOUTH" lettering on the leading edge like the factory had? Or can this not be done by the nature of the glass hood? Thanks...

I want to put the PLYMOUTH letters back on but I just have not got around to it yet. Ron

I would just put the letters M O U T H back on it to be different!

I checked with the guy where I got the hood and he dont know as he bought it at Carlisle. Sorry. Ron

Call Sled City, ask for Larry. He's a good guy we know him well. His glass is good quality He specializes in 62-67 Dodge and Plymouths. He'll treat you right.

Can't speak for a 63 plymouth, but I got a VFN AAR stlye cuda hood on my daily driver 08charger rt if it means anything... fit was near perfect and was a real quality hood... of course with any fiberglass you can expect mild fitment issues, but overall my experience was great. Assuming all of their parts are just as good I would say go for it!

Fiberglass Hood Sugestions..........

Thank-You all for the kind advice. I've been coresponding with the VFN folks. They make fiberglass hoods to order and are about 3-weeks out from time of order to shipping. VFN makes an exact replica of the 63 factory original including the mounting bunks. The bunks are reinforced with steel and the hood is a lift up rather than a pin on. The latch is also bolted to the fiberglass hood and is reinforced with steel. They also include lighter weight hood springs to go with it. I haven't ordered one yet but getting real close. I haven't called Sled Cty yet but plan to and compare products. I prefer the lift up as opposed to the pin on style. dw

I have seen a lot of the VFN products. They always have a display at the Race Expo in Chicago. I have bought bumpers from them and would not hesitate to buy from them again. Their quality is outstanding.

VFN Fiberglass Hoods

I have seen a lot of the VFN products. They always have a display at the Race Expo in Chicago. I have bought bumpers from them and would not hesitate to buy from them again. Their quality is outstanding.

Thanks Very Much. That's a GREAT reference for VFN. I'm planning to call them later this week and get one ordered. I'll let everyone know later after I receive it how it looks and fits etc..........

Fiberglass Hoods........Correction.

I was in the process of ordering a new "Bolt-On" glass hood from VFN when the office manager (Jean) advised me that she made a big mistake. VFN does NOT offer a "Bolt-On" glass hood for a 63 Plymouth like she thought they did. They make "Pin On" only. I'm disappointed and a bit frustrated as I wanted a "Bolt-On" not a "Pin-On" style. HMmm!

I did some homework about the WS Racing glass body parts as Splicer suggested it. Every Mopar blog I've read about them is Bad News......poor quality and takes forever to get anything!! I guess the original owner (Walt) passed on and since then the quality has gone in the dumper!!

:angry1:

I went with the pin on hood because I got this hood used very cheap. I did not know if I would like it but its not bad at all. What I really like is when working on the eng you have alot of light with no hood blocking any light and you dont have to worry about hitting you head on the hood latch. Ron

CARLISLE711148.jpg

Pin-On vs. Bolt-On Glass Hoods???

I went with the pin on hood because I got this hood used very cheap. I did not know if I would like it but its not bad at all. What I really like is when working on the eng you have alot of light with no hood blocking any light and you dont have to worry about hitting you head on the hood latch. Ron

CARLISLE711148.jpg

Hi Ron-Certainly your glass hood looks great and I can understand the advantages you see with it. Light is very important. I have a 6-Pack "pin on" style glass on my 69 Super Bee which I drag race. It's OK however,when I'm in a hurry making engine adjustments just before my call..........it's really a problem. Chaos anyone? Also my Super Bee hood has flown off the car roof a couple of times when it's windy which is dangerous. I can't lay it down either as someone will step on it.

I just heard that I should check with Glasstek Fiberglass as they may have a Bolt-On style for the 63 Ply...............Has anyone reading this thread tried any of their glass hoods or other glass products thay make?????????? Thanks to all.

Auto Transport Service
Back