• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

figuring out budget

Bruzilla, I had the paint and body guy come out and go over the car with me. I explained what I could do to save him time and me money. He didn't give a itemized list of hours, product, just a general quote of 6500 with me doing the sanding and quick rattle can primer (prevent flash rust, even in garage), window, trim removal, etc. I actually just sent him an email requesting itemization and how much me sanding really saves me. Very good question though! thanks for all your guys' imput! information is king!

I just got my '69 Roadrunner painted. I bought the paint and brought it to the guy. He had to sand down my roof and trunk lid because the previous painter let another car leak tranny fluid on it. He fixed a few issues with the body not being straight, blocked it out, and installed/aligned fenders, hood, and trunk. 9 months later the final bill was $6,600 not sure if the price is right or not...probably the latter and there are still some issues he needs to fix but won't be getting another dime. Take your time and find the right people! My experience with body/paint guys has led me to try it all myself next time.

Bruzilla, I had the paint and body guy come out and go over the car with me. I explained what I could do to save him time and me money. He didn't give a itemized list of hours, product, just a general quote of 6500 with me doing the sanding and quick rattle can primer (prevent flash rust, even in garage), window, trim removal, etc. I actually just sent him an email requesting itemization and how much me sanding really saves me. Very good question though! thanks for all your guys' imput! information is king!

Are you going through a shop or through a guy doing work on the side? I paid $2,100 to have my car primered with POR 15 rust preventative paint, sanded, assembled/disassembled, two-stage paint, major damage to the rear quarter repaired and over 40 dents and dings fixed, and that was just back in July. :) All I had to do was take the car over to his place and pick it back up. I looked around for professional guys doing P&B on the side. They're a lot cheaper than going through a body shop and they're not distracted by high-payout insurance work.

Are you going through a shop or through a guy doing work on the side? I paid $2,100 to have my car primered with POR 15 rust preventative paint, sanded, assembled/disassembled, two-stage paint, major damage to the rear quarter repaired and over 40 dents and dings fixed, and that was just back in July. :) All I had to do was take the car over to his place and pick it back up. I looked around for professional guys doing P&B on the side. They're a lot cheaper than going through a body shop and they're not distracted by high-payout insurance work.

I agree, there's a lot of guys out of work now or working out of their home. The trick is to find the RIGHT guy, hopefully through referral and even better, if you can see an example of other work. Man, I almost got burned by one local guy who seemed to know what he was talking about. I took in one of my other classic cars I was going to sell anyway to get my driver's door hinges replaced and door aligned because I was having a heck of a time with it and had already had the door on and off 2 times. I was having him do this work as a test run in case I liked what he did and wanted him to do the whole car. When I picked the car back up the door gap was better, but not perfect, and when I opened the door, at the bottom to the right of the sill plate and up the side by the lock strike, the blue paint was sprayed all primer gray. I asked him, WTF? He said he was sanding it to get more clearance. Again, I'm like WTF???! He didn't touch my car anymore after that. And before that he took me to his small shop where he had two cars in there and kept bragging about no bondo, only real metal work fab and replacement. Real laid back old school guy in his 50's and I thought I was in good hands. You just never know....

On the other hand, I just got my '68 Satellite back from body and paint. I had them do everything because I remember helping my dad block sand his '67 Chevy for what seemed like every weekday night after work and every saturday for 3 months straight. I had dreams about block sanding...I'm a blue collar guy and actually enjoy physical work, but the block sanding is soooo monotonous and not really one of my favorite things. Anyway, I shopped around for a whole year and talked to a dozen shops about my car. I finally chose one and it came out great even though they had it for 9 months. Body and paint and disassembly and reassembly, including all new rubber and front and rear glass, door handles, mirrors, etc. came out to $10K. I did all the legwork of sourcing and ordering myself for all new parts, which added another $1500 when all was said and done (I had my bumpers rechromed too). I had other quotes between $7500 - $20K from other shops, and ALL of those guys I told them I don't want a show car. My body was a 95% straight california car with just a littel bubbling on the lower rear rocker and under the rear glass edge. I had sticker shock knowing this as I first started getting quotes last year. I didn't want the Earl Shive or Macco $500 job, but I didn't want $15K either. $10K is what it ended up and while not a great deal, I don't feel I got hosed either.

The main thing is whether you hire someone to do both body and paint, or paint only, you've got to be very clear to them on the quality of work you're expecting and stick to it. It's very easy to initially say you just want a driver quality for under $2K and then as they get into it and you check up on the work you may change your mind and make little requests, thinking in your head - man, it sure would be nice for those little ripples to be gone, or man, it sure would be nice to have a little deeper polish to it. I would say if you do paint only and don't hire any bodywork at all, $2-3K is possible as long as you find a shop that will shoot it without doing their own bodywork, but of course, they won't warranty it.

By the way, I'm in northern California so your prices may vary. I've talked to a half dozen guys at car shows with exceptional quality paint and body on their cars and all of these guys separately told me that they painted their car themselves with the help of their car club friends. I would have loved to go that route, but just didn't meet anyone with those skills near me.

I am planning my budget for my 70 Road Runner. You can save money but detrimming the car you can save money but removing the drivetrain as well. I have the benifit of being able to do this at the shop so I dont need to tow the car there. Depending on the condition of your car and the quality of the body and paint i can tell you on average and based on previous builds your porbably looking at 20k (for body and paint only) of course this number can vary with shop and budget. the beauty of engine and drivetrain upgrades is that they can be done down the road so it can be spaced out. this is just my experience

Hey guys, getting really close to media blasting! Me and my dad did this yesterday. Went amazingly smooth. That load leveler on the hook of the cherry picker was what made this job possible! Scratch that, my dad helping me was what made this possible.

- - - Updated - - -

one more shows the steeeeep angle, nothing like 500 to 600 pounds of motor and transmission hanging four to five feet off the ground!

Attachments

• motor 3.JPG
    motor 3.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 221
  • motor 2.JPG
    motor 2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 215
  • motor 1.JPG
    motor 1.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 229
After going back and forth in my head and weighing what I was going to do with my car and what RPM range it would be in I decided to go with manifolds. I picked up a set of HP manifolds for $225. I saved myself a few hundred $ I can put somewhere else. If I did headers I would have spent the money on good ones. Like some of the people have said plan what you want or need and find a cost effective way to do that. Don't let the budget keep you from being happy.

i like em and have used them on most of my cars. they look cool and flow better than log manifolds, but not as good as headers. however gains from headers are almost always in comparison to logs so not as large a jump from the magnums you now have...however if get into the heads and cam too much above stock i'm sure the the more experienced HP membership will have plenty to say about needing the headers, and i'm sure they are right in that regard.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, and maybe the pro paint & body guys can help out here, do you really save any money by sanding the car and removing trim yourself? I watched the guy who painted my car take that thing apart, and he had all the right tools and the right experience, and he had that car stripped down and built back up in no time... much faster than I could. What would have taken me a weekend he had done in a little over an hour. As for sanding, are there any P&B guys who are going to just slap paint on a customer-sanded body, or are you going to go over it yourself? I suspect the later.

So I'm thinking you're really not going to get much of a better deal by sanding and removing trim yourself. You'll probably be worse off by the time you have to buy trim removal tools, break/damage expensive trim pieces, pay for all the sanding materials, etc.

this sounds like a great topic for a whole new thread Bruzilla. Care to start it? I'm sure guys like propwash and several others are much different situations than what you are talking about in regard to their ability to do as good a job or i'm sure better job than a lot of pro body men but talking about average guys who don't have their abilities...like i think you are talking about.

From my own experience, and, from John Balow's mouth to me directly; "Triple the amount(s) you think it will cost, this is the actual cost(s)".

From my own experience, and, from John Balow's mouth to me directly; "Triple the amount(s) you think it will cost, this is the actual cost(s)".

As a hobbyist, this has been especially true when it comes to estimating my own labor, no matter how realistic I try to be. My level of skills and equipment can't efficiently support that of my perfectionism, so labor will tend to be high. The "triple" rule has also been pretty close in terms of final project cost, probably due to my attitudes of "in for a penny in for a pound", "excess is best", "if a little is good more must be better".

As a hobbyist, this has been especially true when it comes to estimating my own labor, no matter how realistic I try to be. My level of skills and equipment can't efficiently support that of my perfectionism, so labor will tend to be high. The "triple" rule has also been pretty close in terms of final project cost, probably due to my attitudes of "in for a penny in for a pound", "excess is best", "if a little is good more must be better".

I mostly make up for money with my own time whether that is on craigslist searching for a part deal or making my own patch panel because I don't want to buy a replacement. My attitude is you get out what you put in but that does not go for $$ as much as effort. You can spend a whole bunch of money and pay a guy a ton with a bad plan and end up with an expensive turd. If you spend a whole bunch of time, plan, collect, etc then you may end up with a gem at a bargain basement price. But you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to make that happen. From what I can see most guys are a mix between the two..."I want to work a little but my time is worth more then my money"...so they buy a whole ton of AMD metal and cart it all over to a pro body guy and spend $15k getting the work done. If you have 15k to burn I say go for it. Otherwise get out the old jeans, put on a plaid shirt and meet me in the garage.

well, you guys were all correct. I decided to build this car right, but it is expensive because my body work skills are limited to say the least. made some progress in the last couple months:had it media blasted, all rust repaired, and getting primed as I write this, but have tapped my account hard and will have to wait. Its amazing how much you can spend just getting to this point. 1300 in media blasting, 3000 in prime and rust repair, plus 5500 in initial purchase. I still have 5gs in body work not including the cost of the paint (1400.00), then I gotta start on the 440, roughly 5500, trans is done, rear end is waiting for me to get measurements for narrowing, BRING ON THE OVER TIME!!! Little discouraged, but feel better now that I have bitched about it! lol its going to be a nice car, just takes a lot of dedication to bring one back. Thanks for your help guys.

budget

a budget ???????????????????????? :sHa_dielaughing2::sHa_dielaughing2:

I got ya, I didn't mean it to sound like I just throw money at my car willy nilly. I ain't exactly got money falling out of my a hole. The point I wanted to make was I dont have a budget per se, I have a goal. I have a vision of how i want my car to be. I will not let a little thing like money stop me from achieving that goal. That said, its not exactly flowing out of my butt, so there comes my challenge. I charge myself with the task of getting it done within my means of doing so without compromising my goals or vision. I shop around, and I dont want to get ripped off. But im not gonna rip myself off either.

X2, I keep the receipts and just keep buying. Will I ever add it all up? I doubt it. Just guessing I've probably got about 20K in mine but I do everything myself except the engine machine work and the upohlestry which I managed to work out a deal to work off the interior work. Spend smart, take your time, do your homework and don't look back.

Yep, that's what I'm trying to. I keep a cash flow on hand to grab deals I see off Craig's as I go. Got hooker super comp headers last week for 120.00 getting full three inch mandrel bent exhaust with x pipe, mufflers, cut outs and hangers for 300.00 had a quote of a grand for all that. Found a fully rebuilt rear end (489 case, 391 sure grip), completely rebuilt for 500.00. I hunt deals and drive to get em! Little at a time, this old dog will hunt again!

I told my wife I thought the restoration would cost $6500 to $8,000. It was $18,000.00 Nearly everything cost more than I expected, nearly everything had more wrong with it than what originally appeared to the naked eye, and some stuff that was "already restored" had been "already painted and not fixed properly before painting" so beware.

Benji

a budget ???????????????????????? :sHa_dielaughing2::sHa_dielaughing2:

this post i made was me laughing at myself!!!!! when i got my car the wife asked how much to fix the car,i told her about 10,000.00
she is VERY MUCH BUDGET CONSCIOUS!! well that 10g was gone real quick & i still have a car that needs at least 10gs more.

Yea... Part of me was saying I should finance a finished car, but I could never find a exact car that I wanted. This way I will build exactly what I want. I will post pictures of the exhaust tomorrow when I pick it up.

- - - Updated - - -

And that comment benji made is so true about previous work. That's why I went down to bare bones. If I bought an already done car I'm going off what someone told me. Scary. This way I know.

Auto Transport Service
Back