• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FJ5 Lime Light Paint Source & Tips

Travis May

Local time
1:40 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where people are getting their FJ5. I can only find one source in California for $250/quart and no one seems to have the formula. I am ready to paint the engine bay of my car FJ5, but don't want to run into a sourcing issues when I decide to paint the exterior in a couple of years.

It would be much appreciated if someone can point me in the right direction for a source as well as the formula.

Thank you.

To get an exact match it may pay to buy all the paint up front.
Over here PPG Paints have a lot of formulas.
They had my GY3.

I used PPG DCC FJ6 Green Go in single stage on my 71. I used Akzo Nobel BC/CC in FJ5 about 15yrs ago on a 70 Dart. I like sprayjng the single stage way better. I sprayed bc/cc for years proffessionally. Good thing about single stage is you can sand it smooth and clear coat it as well. And if you have to spot or something to repair it's easy to blend and buff. A fellow friend and body man did that on a 73 Runner and on top of his magical bodywork the paint looks 5ft deep after doing that. My plan is to do that eventually but, I'm liking it so far. Lay it down how you want it to look and it buffs good also. A little messy but a lot of fun things are! I like cuttin n rubbin myself so doesnt borher me. Still need to buff this...
20210815_115551.jpg
20210815_145709.jpg

As advised I'd buy it all at once, but I myself bought a quart and cut in the engine bay and trunk. Bought a gallon and used on the rest on the car, that color kind of bounces off each other and you can't really tell the difference. I'm a painter and I have to look really hard to notice and sometimes can't. Being a solid color I'm using the same gallon and I painted everything piece at a time at different times. Can't do that with a metallic

Last edited:
Don't ask me about the paint codes; I don't know. But when I restored my original 70 Limelight Road Runner I found pristine, unfaded original paint under the b pillar stainless trim. My painter had to adjust the formula to match it exactly.

Bottom line is supposedly "original" FJ5 paint codes may still not exactly match original. Like others have suggested, it's probably best to get all the paint you need at once.

As I'm sure you know, looking at pictures can be deceiving. Here is my car in various light and I think the paint can look very different.

Here is one in mixed light:
20160528_165614.jpg

Here is one in full sunlight:
20171028_165548.jpg

Here is one on a cloudy day (my Christmas display!):
20171224_102436.jpg

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back