• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flashing Emergency Brake Light

Doorkicker

Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
Got an odd one for you. 1967 Coronet 440. Everything is fine with the car, drive it all the time.

And then...

Went for a drive a noticed the emergency brake indicator light (the light on the bottom left of the drive's dash that comes on when you press the emergency brake peddle) was flashing. And not flashing like there's a weird, loose connection or something - but rather just like a turn signal.

Troubleshooting procedure...
#1 - Pulled release handle to confirm the emergency brake was off.
#2 - Put the brake on to see what would happen... no change. (Note.. I don't use the ebrake because it's disconnected)
#3 - Check switch and wire to ebrake peddle - looked fine/normal. No change if I actuated the switch.
#4 - Turned on turn signal to see if they flashed at the same rate... nope. Different rates and pulses.
#5 - Turned on hazards to check flashing rate... nope. Different rates and pulses.
#6 - Pressed the horn... just in case, you never know. And I wanted to say "hi" to my neighbor.
#7 - Got board, turned car off and started working on my other car.

Before I start chasing this gremlin... I wanted to see if you fellas we're like "Oh yeah, that happens all the time, just do..."

Back story...
Started about a month ago. I've owned the car for about 2 yrs., got as a fix-er-up-er.
It used to have a water leak at the base of the windshield on the driver's side, which looked to be quite an issue before I got the car. I have corrected, but no debating there was a leak and water was coming out from under the dash.
No other electrical issues with the car since I've owned it. Taillights work, turn signals, head lights, and even the dome light works. Nothing else flashes (that wasn't intended to flash)

those bulbs were special and are not available to the best of my knowledge, its doing what is was designed to do, get your attention. I don't know the correct electrical terms but the y would heat up and open then cool and close, then keep repeating. just like a flasher but the bulb is on your dash. these bulbs it was self contained. why is it coming on without you requesting? switch out of adjustment or switch in proportioning valve is bad and providing ground. disconnect the lead to proportioning valve and see if problem goes away.

I would bet it is the switch in your brake system. If you have front disc brakes you have a proportioning valve. If you have drum brakes on all four you have a distribution block. Either one uses the same brake switch. It will have a black wire coming off of that block going to your emergency brake light. It sounds like you have a partial ground in that switch causing your light to go on and off. As was mentioned, try unplugging that black wire from the distribution block. If it light goes away, you have found the culprit. Mine was flickering on and off last year. I swapped in a different switch and the light went off.

The original park brake bulb had the flash built into it. They would change flash timing with heat and cold.

You ebrake not hooked up could be the problem. There is a switch and wire on the e brake behind the top of the kick panel. Unplug that wire and tape it off. Now go drive and see what happens. Probably not a wiring gremlin.

Auto Transport Service
Back