• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat Tappet Cam Walk

493charger

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to say hello and this is my first post here, so please be kind.

I guess some background info would be helpful. I'm working on an RB 493. It has an Erson hydraulic, flat tappet camshaft. I suspected the lifters to be bad(collapsing), so I removed the top end to inspect the cam and valvetrain. Well, I was almost half way through "running" the cam with a dial indicator when I noticed that the cam seemed to be "walking" a lot more than I am used to seeing. Probably a good 3/16", but I haven't actually measured. Now, I understand that a flat tappet cam "walks" a lot more than say a roller cam would. I also understand how the rotation of the distributor gear creates a lateral force that holds the cam gear bushing back against the block. And that the taper of the lobes and the process of the lifters rotating helps keep the cam from moving around while running. Unsurprisingly, I have read different stories on cam walk. Some people swear it makes no difference because the above processes keep the cam stable. Others seem to think a cam button is a good idea on any camshaft.

I guess I would like to know what is considered an "acceptable" amount of cam walk, preferrably a number if possible, before I take the front of the engine apart. I am used to seeing camshaft end play in the .010-.020 range with roller cams, so forgive me if 3/16" seems a little ridiculous.

rollers are "walkers"; flat tappets are not supposed to "walk" and are designed not to "walk". usually a flat tappet walking is a sign that the cam bore is not parallel with the crank bore. 3/16" i would consider an extreme. i have made nylon or delron buttons to fit over the head of the camshaft cap screw to control movement on single bolt cams. if you have a 3 bolt cam just fit up a roller cam thrust button.

Auto Transport Service
Back