• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE-NOT MINE: 1972 Roadrunner GTX Track Pak 440 HP 4spd Dana 60 Only 219 Built Rare - $25,900 (Scottsdale)

Because everyone knows real performance stopped abruptly after 1971.

...or so they have been led to believe by early car mag editors that continually whined about it and wrote slanted articles belittling anything built 1n 72 or later.

This particular '72 checks almost every box that makes it very desirable in my opinion; and it's Sherwood Green to boot!

Condition, condition, and condition...it looks like a great starting point for a nice project. Like someone already said, look at that trunk floor... that's a a darn good indicator of the rest of the car.

Also, the car starts and the seller has a clean Arizona title in his name. That's a rarity on Craigslist and Facebook.

Ok, so the factory performance numbers for '72 aren't as good as prior years? That can be remedied easy enough, but yeah more money to spend.

It is a hobby for most members here?
:)

This particular '72 checks almost every box that makes it very desirable in my opinion; and it's Sherwood Green to boot!

Condition, condition, and condition...it looks like a great starting point for a nice project. Like someone already said, look at that trunk floor... that's a a darn good indicator of the rest of the car.

Also, the car starts and the seller has a clean Arizona title in his name. That's a rarity on Craigslist and Facebook.

Ok, so the factory performance numbers for '72 aren't as good as prior years? That can be remedied easy enough, but yeah more money to spend.

It is a hobby for most members here?
:)
Someone could look at the head casting numbers.
In 72, the early cars used the SAME HEAD as 71.
In the later part of 72, they used a variant with the same valves and same combustion chamber size, but with a "hardened" valve seat.

In either case, the heads are THE SAME. the exhaust manifolds are the same, the shortblock is the same. I can;t speak to the intake and carb, but that is the first thing people ditch anyway.
The downgrade for many drivetrains from all of the big three and even AMC is a perception based on the change from gross to net and lots of idiot journalists. Some did get hit. B/RB Mopar was not one of them, until 73 at least.
Now, 73 however, the combustion chamber got bigger so compression dumped. But this isn't a 73.

Someone could look at the head casting numbers.
In 72, the early cars used the SAME HEAD as 71.
In the later part of 72, they used a variant with the same valves and same combustion chamber size, but with a "hardened" valve seat.

In either case, the heads are THE SAME. the exhaust manifolds are the same, the shortblock is the same. I can;t speak to the intake and carb, but that is the first thing people ditch anyway.
The downgrade for many drivetrains from all of the big three and even AMC is a perception based on the change from gross to net and lots of idiot journalists. Some did get hit. B/RB Mopar was not one of them, until 73 at least.
Now, 73 however, the combustion chamber got bigger so compression dumped. But this isn't a 73.
I believe the induction package is actually better in the 72. Larger carb, larger intake. Now the pistons I would question if they're different part #s.

Unfortunately it's a 72, the 1st year of the downgrade
after the Muscle car era 61-71 (some say 64-71 or 68-70)

(albeit last of the good/decent looking years vs 73-74 fugly fat sisters)

some don't like anything after 71, at best
persnickety market today & has been for MoPar forever
they don't bring the same $$$ as a 71 (or prior)
in 'the exact' same condition, fact

Pluses, it is a dry climate in Az
nice solid car but, location & price is everything

MoPar people are generally cheap too,
unless it's a finished completed car, done right
we see it every damn day here

& done right,
every aspect of that car will need to be addressed,
all new trim or fixed, interior, glass,
belts/hoses/rubber, tires/wheels
paint (big hit) still has rust, maybe not body panels replaced
the vinyl top (rust, albeit mostly surface)
maybe engine ???? (reseal at a min.)
& radiator/cooling, water pump,
& all the electrical system, wiring, the bulkhead connections, alt. etc.
gauges, seats & console, fuel system, sending unit/pickup, carb,
I'm sure there's far more too
all cost the same
as a more desirable 71 & earlier
spend $30k-$40k at a min. just to get $40k-$50k maybe (?)
if
& when finished, to the right buyer
everything still cost the same $$, for a less desirable year

(don't get me wrong I like it it's a solid car)

I say not for an investment, maybe for someone that had one
sentimental value & wants another one, for a long-term project

brutal truth hurts

my $1.25

giphy.gif

5% performance hit at worst case.

72 was the last year for the 18 spline Hemi 4 speed manual transmission, the B body Dana 60,and the Ramcharger/air grabber hood. You could not get a 440 equipped car with a manual transmission after 72. Because 71 was the last year for the Hemi engine and with the exception of a handful of very early built Sixpack/Six Barrel cars,the 440 triple carb engine,71 Mopars are considered by most to be the last year for Mopar muscle cars. They also changed the way they did horsepower ratings in 72 to net horsepower they are considered to be lower horsepower than the 71 models, when there is virtually almost no difference in power between a 71 or a 72 high performance 440 equipped Mopar. The 72 cars seem to fall through the cracks. It didn't help that Dodge killed the Charger R/T and the Super Bee models,and changed their high performance Charger models to the Rallye Charger, and Plymouth combined the Road Runner and GTX models on cars with the 440 cubic inch engine. The hidden headlight grille also disappeared from the Charger as an option after 72 as well.

Last edited:
That's what I don't get.

A 440-6 is a "muscle car" but a 440-4 isn't?

A 440 and a 4 speed is a"muscle car" but a 440 and an auto (which would likely win in the 1/4 mile) isn't?

...and a 375 gross HP engine is powerful but a 250 net HP is not?

That's the BS card I'm playing, and I'm sticking to it.

Even the '73 340, 400 and 440 cars were not down very much HP wise. Maybe 5-10% or so.

People just couldn't "do the math", and didn't like any change.

the full metal replacement on any of those projects costs more than the asking price of this car; almost double in some cases......... if the hood, fenders, trunk lid are that nice; even better
When my GTX last changed hands 30 years ago, the price of an OEM quarter panel was already more than the sale price. All rusted sheet metal had been replaced with OEM. It needed interior freshening and new paint at the time, both were done well in the next decade. Car sold to me for ten times what he had in it (not counting time.) Still a good deal for both of us.

Last edited:
That's what I don't get.
A 440-6 is a "muscle car" but a 440-4 isn't?
A 440 and a 4 speed is a"muscle car" but a 440 and an auto (which would likely win in the 1/4 mile) isn't?
...and a 375 gross HP engine is powerful but a 250 net HP is not?
That's the BS card I'm playing, and I'm sticking to it.
Even the '73 340, 400 and 440 cars were not down very much HP wise. Maybe 5-10% or so.
People just couldn't "do the math", and didn't like any change.
72 was the last year for the 18 spline Hemi 4 speed manual transmission, the B body Dana 60,and the Ramcharger/air grabber hood. You could not get a 440 equipped car with a manual transmission after 72. Because 71 was the last year for the Hemi engine and with the exception of a handful of very early built Sixpack/Six Barrel cars,the 440 triple carb engine,71 Mopars are considered by most to be the last year for Mopar muscle cars. They also changed the way they did horsepower ratings in 72 to net horsepower they are considered to be lower horsepower than the 71 models, when there is virtually almost no difference in power between a 71 or a 72 high performance 440 equipped Mopar. The 72 cars seem to fall through the cracks. It didn't help that Dodge killed the Charger R/T and the Super Bee models,and changed their high performance Charger models to the Rallye Charger, and Plymouth combined the Road Runner and GTX models on cars with the 440 cubic inch engine. The hidden headlight grille also disappeared from the Charger as an option after 72 as well.
Absolutely both spot on. I can tell you... from real time, experiencing these cars as they happened back in the day, these were very much the muscle cars, actually better, than their predecessors. Bring in your brandy-new "smogged" 400 or 440, and we'd do exactly what we did before: headers/exhaust, dyno-tune, re-jet carb, recurve distributor, yeah even maybe a cam, etc. and you'll wipe the pants off most street cars. I'll say this, I once did a '74 360 Duster I'd say would probably dust most members cars here ! ( some cars needed to stay in over the weekend for "test drive"... )

If that car is as solid and complete as it appears to be that is a fair price.

The price is a fair price, but the car has been for sale for about a year. The market has changed and project cars take the hit first. Even solid desire project cars like this one. The green color isn't helping, even though some here say they like the color,most buyers don't like green Mopars. Personally my opinion is that this car would be gone at 20 grand, but at 26 grand it's not moving.

I agree RC,I think that the car being a dry solid Arizona car,that is matching numbers, and a 440,4 speed,Dana car is probably worth the asking price to the right buyer, but the right buyer hasn't shown up yet, and who knows if they ever will. The car would sell very quickly at twenty grand, so the price if the owner really wanted to sell the car is something in between 20k and the 26 grand asking price.

If that car was an air grabber it would easily sell for 26k in that condition. I agree with it being Standard hood and the green color is not helping it. I think 22k is top dollar for it. Who knows the guy who owns it might not want to budge on price but that doesn't mean a 440 4 speed dana rear RR/GTX car is not desirable.

It was listed for $28,900+ on several sites
like Barn Find & Craigslist not sure what others
I quit looking/researching, after seeing it listed for over a 13 months
back in Dec. 2022, that I saw

been on the market for a long time
for "a desirable year'd car" (better than a fugly *** 73-74)
should have sold if it is what is advertised

I wonder what is really wrong ?
except overpriced
or perceived an undesirable year
that they no doubt will have to spend more than it will be worth,
after buying it for $25,900 & restoring it
(add another $30k+) to anything presentable
at least they did lower it some, by $3k... since 2 Dec.s ago

440 4bbl, 8.2:1 compression in 1972
vs advert. 10:1 compression in 1971, do the math

I wonder what is really wrong ?

Yeah, it’s got a solid body, but it needs a complete restoration and it’s overprice. More so, it’s a 1972. That’s really what’s wrong with it. The ‘71 was never as popular as its predecessor and the ‘72 even less so, and that’s why it’s not selling. It’s really that simple.

Generations die…..are dying. Tastes change just like style. It’s been said before. There is an *** for every seat. The right person will see this as it is. A styling piece of history that is unique and no longer made.

Maybe some SWAG's on these estimates:
$25,900 purchase
$12,000 interior
$20,000 paint & body
$15,000 entire driveline, susp, & brakes
$2,000 enclosed transport to Georgia
Total: $74,900

Is this particular car worth it? Of course it is. Does it make financial sense? No, but most hobbies do not.

Yeah, I know there is a similarly optioned, but beautifully restored '72 RR GTX that was posted for sale here on August 26, 2022. Gorgeous car. It isn't currently marked as sold.

I'll tell you the one most important drawback on this car. The color. WE used to groan when ANOTHER dark, ivy green Mopar came in the garage. "Did they make any other color" we would say. A very popular color then... a very unpopular color now.

Auto Transport Service
Back