• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a wire plug under my dash not being use. (plug identification needed)

Thirdeye00

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
I have an issue with my driver side turn lights not working. (the lights stay on while turn signal is activated) I was looking under my dash at the flasher relay and I noticed a plug was not plugged up. I'm unsure if I knock something loose when I changed out my ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated
1966 Plymouth Belvedere - 273 - with AC

Also, what do I need to look for if my driver side turn signal aren't working but the passenger side are. Start with blub replacements even if the lights work?

PXL_20240723_000725895.NIGHT.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Orange wire is illumination and the pink wire in that plug is power. I cant find a plug in the 66 Schematic that looks like that other than the one for the console which is a 3 wire plug but the only one with Orange and pink in it. But it also has a violet wire as the 3rd wire. That Violet wire is for a back up light switch and I assume is optional When you have a 4 speed car. Otherwise in an Automatic its not used or even there. Assume your car is non console and auto on the column. If so you would not have anything plugged into that connector.

Orange wire is illumination and the pink wire in that plug is power. I cant find a plug in the 66 Schematic that looks like that other than the one for the console which is a 3 wire plug but the only one with Orange and pink in it. But it also has a violet wire as the 3rd wire. That Violet wire is for a back up light switch and I assume is optional When you have a 4 speed car. Otherwise in an Automatic its not used or even there. Assume your car is non console and auto on the column. If so you would not have anything plugged into that connector.
Ah, thank you!! It is a auto on the column. So, the plug isn't used for anything. Now, I just need to figure out the issue with my left turn signals.

Your turn signal issue sounds like a bad ground at the light.

Download the schematics for your car from https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/1966Wiring.zip

Below blue box represents the turn signal switch connector. And the 2 red ovals are both of the cluster connectors. To the front of the car you should have a yellow/tracer wire, Light Green and a Tan wire those are your turn signal wires both left and right.

Yellow wire is your parking lights. Green is the left turn signal and tan is the right signal. So you either have one of three issues. Bad turn signal switch, Bad grounding at the light or a bad bulb. One other thing it could be a bad socket. Check to see if you have intermate power when the right signal is on on the green wire or tan. It switches over to green at the light. If you do then check for grounding.

66BelvedereSatelliteA.JPG
66BelvedereSatelliteB.JPG

Last edited:
Oh wow, Thank you BeepBeepRR. I will look into that. Hopefully I will be able to track down the bad ground quickly.

I have an issue with my driver side turn lights not working. (the lights stay on while turn signal is activated) I was looking under my dash at the flasher relay and I noticed a plug was not plugged up. I'm unsure if I knock something loose when I changed out my ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated
1966 Plymouth Belvedere - 273 - with AC

Also, what do I need to look for if my driver side turn signal aren't working but the passenger side are. Start with blub replacements even if the lights work?

View attachment 1699900
Looks like radio power wire

They dont really show provisions for radios in the general schematic. It shows one side of the fuse as a black wire which if you follow it on the schematic ends up tying into a pink wire at the wiper. The other side of the radio fuse doesn't show where it goes. Maybe its in a general schematic I will see if I can find it.

Couldnt find the schematic but did find a radio online. This shows a white and orange wires going into the stereo pigtail which is then orange and red... Not sure at this point I was sure that plug was for a console without 4 speed. Here is the picture of the stereo.

radio.png

Last edited:
They dont really show provisions for radios in the general schematic. It shows one side of the fuse as a black wire which if you follow it on the schematic ends up tying into a pink wire at the wiper. The other side of the radio fuse doesn't show where it goes. Maybe its in a general schematic I will see if I can find it.

Couldnt find the schematic but did find a radio online. This shows a white and orange wires going into the stereo pigtail which is then orange and red... Not sure at this point I was sure that plug was for a console and a 4 speed. Here is the picture of the stereo.

View attachment 1700061
The OE cable coming out of the radio units is pretty nasty stuff. I wouldn't use it.....all hard and crusty.

DSC00667.JPG

Mine a few years ago while doing a conversion/merge of a modern deck to the old system.

1721901907604.png

^^^^^rough screengrab

Red orange like I thought.... I still think that his connector is for a console non 4 speed.
In a '70 car, the console wiring goes to the driver side kick panel in a 6-way connector. I cannot see why there would be an additional 2-way connector half-way.

I might be wrong of course. A '66 might be different.

Actually, you may be right about the console non-4-speed idea @BeepBeepRR ...the shape of that console is different and tucks under the dash a bit more.

I looked at the repop console harness and it made me confused. I was sooo sure I was correct about that being for a console. Now I second guess if that's correct. If you look at the console harness portion of the schematic the violet wire is dotted out as if not used in a auto car. That doesn't mean they didn't make a one harness fits all application.

I suspect you have a bad bulb in your left turn signal circuit. If they are all light up, then replace the signal light flasher and forget about the unused connector. There is likely more than one that is unused.

Auto Transport Service
Back