• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fresh-Air Vent

Flash

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey believe my 72 Charger came with the fresh air ventilation that passes through the vent in the top of the hood and then into the cabin.

Whenever I turn mine to vent and turn the fan on all I get is very hot air, which I believe is coming right off of the engine. Am I missing a part that would make a tight seal so engine air doesn't get into the vents or do I need to replace the rubber seal under the good?

Also previous owner removed all of the AC components, so not sure if they removed something else.

Capture.PNG

PXL_20240626_104353736.jpg

PXL_20240626_104423296.jpg

PXL_20240626_104431025.jpg

Did he remove the water temp valve and you have heat on full time? Let's see a picture of your heater hoses at the firewall and inner fender.

Did he remove the water temp valve and you have heat on full time? Let's see a picture of your heater hoses at the firewall and inner fender.
In pic 2, you can see the temp lever towards heat.

Is this what you are talking about?

PXL_20240626_185132081.jpg

PXL_20240626_190422061.jpg

Last edited:
Good eye.
Yeah I should of mentioned that. The temp leveler is actually in the middle. I can move it to the right, but it stops where it is at moving to the left.

Could there be some linkage preventing this?

Yeah I should of mentioned that. The temp leveler is actually in the middle. I can move it to the right, but it stops where it is at moving to the left.

Could there be some linkage preventing this?
It's a sheathed cable. It probably slipped in it's holder and needs adjusted.

I have not found a heater control valve that actually seals off and stops the hot water from going in to the heater core. I have disconnected so many of them to get the ac to blow cold. That may be your issue.

I have not found a heater control valve that actually seals off and stops the hot water from going in to the heater core. I have disconnected so many of them to get the ac to blow cold. That may be your issue.
How would I disable it and see if that is my issue?

I fully believe, as has been stated above, that you have some hot coolant slipping by your heater valve. I ended up installing a valve in mine so I could shut it off in the summer and then turn it back on in the winter.

Having said that, I feel like A/C cars have crappy vents. They just don't seem to work well, no matter what you do. My 73 Road Runner was an A/C car. When my A/C broke, the vents were terrible and really not helpful, even with my little control valve to shut off the coolant. My 70 Road Runner, on the other hand, was never an A/C car and it has awesome vents that actually work.

Yes, you should fix or address your valve, but as an A/C car, I'd suggest you get the A/C working. That's the best way to be comfortable in an original A/C car.

I fully believe, as has been stated above, that you have some hot coolant slipping by your heater valve. I ended up installing a valve in mine so I could shut it off in the summer and then turn it back on in the winter.

Having said that, I feel like A/C cars have crappy vents. They just don't seem to work well, no matter what you do. My 73 Road Runner was an A/C car. When my A/C broke, the vents were terrible and really not helpful, even with my little control valve to shut off the coolant. My 70 Road Runner, on the other hand, was never an A/C car and it has awesome vents that actually work.

Yes, you should fix or address your valve, but as an A/C car, I'd suggest you get the A/C working. That's the best way to be comfortable in an original A/C car.
Ah gotcha, thanks for the info!

Is there a vintage air system that I can to replace mine? Previous owner removed pretty much anything. Figure I need compressor/condenser maybe something else?

I don't have ac in my car but what did helped allot with cabin temps, I cut my heater hose inbound to the core and installed a shutoff valve, closed off all summer and open in colder weather. Cut the temperature a noticeable amount.

The cable in this setup is prone to kinking, as there is a long section, outside the sheath that must be pushed to actuate the valve.

See if the travel is limited by this.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective), the main area affected, is right at the control lever, under the dash.

Have a look.

Then, disconnect the cable from the valve and close the valve manually.

See if it's cooler.

I have AC but my vent blows cool.

Mopars are "famous" for cool to cold vents vs fomoco or gm.

I don't have ac in my car but what did helped allot with cabin temps, I cut my heater hose inbound to the core and installed a shutoff valve, closed off all summer and open in colder weather. Cut the temperature a noticeable amount.
I like it. Any chance you can post a photo and/or part # for the valve?

I've got a generic RV valve in mine because the "correct" valve is astronomically priced and the last one I bought leaked.

It was $12 at a local RV supply place.

BTW- AC and non-AC cars have different valves.

Auto Transport Service
Back