• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Strut Rod removal - pin

TopBanana72

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
OK, so I am in the middle of a front suspension teardown and rebuild (first time, so bare with me). I come to the point to disconnect the strut rod at the front and find a stuck roll pin in the stud. It's not a cotter pin (see pic). It will not budge! either side of the car. I started on one side of the car and started to mangle things, so I thought I would ask for some tips about this. Trust me, they're in there, barely can move with hammering on one end. Thanks in advance guys....

IMG_0527.jpg

Soak with some kind of break free, and it should tap loose. Heat the threaded portion (not the pin). It will also help break the fusion going on.

I have done the following. Cut the ends off and slowly back the nut off. Once removed put arm in a vise use a center punch then drill out the inter pin. Many different ways I'm sure you'll get more ideas. Good luck

It's a roll pin. Juice it up with your favorite penetrating oil.

You'll need a pin punch set like this one.
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-pie...MI--zsiPHX6QIVha_ICh0-tA09EAQYBCABEgLDFPD_BwE

Start with the largest to get it to the edge of the threads, then knock it through with the correct size one.
It's a roll pin. Juice it up with your favorite penetrating oil.

You'll need a pin punch set like this one.
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-pie...MI--zsiPHX6QIVha_ICh0-tA09EAQYBCABEgLDFPD_BwE

Start with the largest to get it to the edge of the threads, then knock it through with the correct size one.
Ohooooo thanks! gotta love harbor freight!

When I lived and worked in Pa. the fire wrench was your friend.RUST ! Moved out west and never used them again !
I agree heat and penetrating oil. bearman's post #4 may be the way to go.

There is one end of the threaded rod where the pin goes in that is countersunk. I have found it is much easier to punch through from this end, it gives the punch more travel as opposed to the opposite side not countersunk.

Auto Transport Service
Back