• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel stench in garage?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of shut off valves for my fuel cell vent lines. I'm using 1/2" aluminum tubing for the vent lines. If I could shut down the vents while in the shop it would sure smell better! No luck with my search so far. Any ideas fellas?
Mike
IMG_2850.JPG

I don’t think you’d want to do that. You risk pressurizing (or the reverse) the system and potential catastrophic problems or dangerous situations

Maybe add a charcoal canister or equivalent

I am looking for a pair of shut off valves for my fuel cell vent lines. I'm using 1/2" aluminum tubing for the vent lines. If I could shut down the vents while in the shop it would sure smell better! No luck with my search so far. Any ideas fellas?
Mike
View attachment 1742988
Are you super sure that the fuel vapor is emitting from the vents? The photo looks like the tank is missing a fuel pump. Check for all paths to atmosphere before thinking about blocking vents.

Here's what I did...I installed an inline check valve off of the vent tube. That way, as pressure builds inside of the tank, the valve will open and release the pressure/fumes into the atmosphere. That helped a ton with the raw fuel smell.

Screenshot_20241017_143219.jpg

Are you super sure that the fuel vapor is emitting from the vents? The photo looks like the tank is missing a fuel pump. Check for all paths to atmosphere before thinking about blocking vents.
Old photo, before any fuel was added.
Mike

I don’t think you’d want to do that. You risk pressurizing (or the reverse) the system and potential catastrophic problems or dangerous situations

Maybe add a charcoal canister or equivalent
It would only be for garage storage. I would open and close them during operation. I think I have a solution, after a trip to the hardware store. They sell 1/4" brass ball valves and with flare adapters it would be easy to accomplish. I was thinking I could find something in the AN series. I did just order a billet aluminum filler with a screw-on cap for $30.00 (Chinese). I could not rationalize a Aeromotive set up for $300.00!
Mike

It needs to vent to avoid excessive pressure build up or implosion from negative pressure situation. You CAN do whatever you want but I sure wouldn’t do that. If you’re worried about smell park the car outside for an hour or two after use, them pull in your shop after it’s cooled down and things have settled.

Find some fuel tank vapor solenoids that are normally closed and actuate them when its running. About 12 to 14 bucks on e-bay.

Personally, I like the smell. Also diesel! Old age probably!!

I started with a check valve from Pegasus Auto Racing. That helped some for the regular fuel evaporation. But, when the fuel in the tank expands, the check valve "burps" and the vapor smell was back. I installed a "Vapor Trapper" from Shop 48 and it virtually eliminated all gasoline smell. Well worth the investment, particularly with my garage attached to my house. The Vapor Trapper must be installed above the fuel tank so no liquid gets into it. The Check Valve helps with that during "Unplanned Sudden Acceleration"! I mounted mine above the tank and routed the vent line back thru the trunk floor to the atmosphere. Highly recommend this product.

VAPOR TRAPPER 2.jpg

10-24 DODGE #2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back