• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas filling problem

66plysat

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Satellite with the original fuel filler neck. When I pump gas with a California environmentally correct hose, it runs down the side of my car. I use paper towels to try to catch the gas but I it saturates the towels and runs down anyway. The fuel opening is vertical to the ground and there is no way to get a good seal with the gas nozzle to prevent spills. Does anyone else have this problem. Has anyone figured out a way to pump gas at a downward angle with the aid of somekind of funnel to stop spillage. These California rubber necked nozzles are a pain in the butt. Does anyone know of a device to use so the California nozzles will work in an old car?

Your car may have a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch hose that comes out of the tank near the filler neck. Make sure it's not clogged. It should be parallel to the gound where it comes out of the tank and then run up next to the filler neck. If it is angled down where it comes out of the tank sometimes gas will get in it and sit. This will clog it and not allow the tank to vent properly as you fill it.

Got the same problem with my GMC truck. PITA! Some nozzles are better than others, but still the spill. I would love to know an answer to this one.

When I was in CA I could never get those stupid things on the car right so I used one hand to pull the rubber thing back and just hold it back and put the nozzel in the car. Meant I couldn't just let it run but I didn't have gas all over the car.

When I was in CA I could never get those stupid things on the car right so I used one hand to pull the rubber thing back and just hold it back and put the nozzel in the car. Meant I couldn't just let it run but I didn't have gas all over the car.

I use the procedure mentioned above.

watermelon

My 66 Belvedere isn't so bad but it depends where you aim the nozzle. On my 71 Ranchero I need to have the nozzle sideways with the hose coming in from the rear of the car. I think what's happening is the gas coming out of the nozzle at a high flow rate hits the abrupt bend in the fill pipe and splashes back. Changing the angle might allow the gas to cling to the wall of the fill pipe and continue going into the tank. Or, the whole thing is a gov't conspiracy to get the old cars off the road.

I have the same problem in my '67 Satellite, but I recently had the gas tank out so I happen to know that the breather tube which runs parallel to the fill spout as a nasty kink in the rubber section of it and is basically collapsed, which causes the filler to compress and back the fuel up. I haven't gotten to fixing it yet, 'cause its lower priority to me than the 15 other odd things that are broken.

I did happen upon a gas station on a hill though where when I park at a specific pump, the front right tire is pitched down about 1 ft above the rear left tire. At this specific pump, I can fill it up like nobodies business full blast, no backup. :)

Also as others have mentioned, certain pumps are worse than others. At chevron, this happened before I had the kink in the breather. At the 76's here in east bay, I have better luck as the pumps are less fancy.

Auto Transport Service
Back