• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glyptal Red

When i had my engine rebuilt in 2002, the machine shop used gray Rustoleum in the valley. 7 years & 35,000 miles later it still looked great. However, when I was 1 quart of oil low with my stock oil pan (high volume/high pressure pump) at full throttle on the Interstate, I noticed my oil gauge fluctuating. So it might help with drain back, but not by much.

Yes, I was just looking at the label the other day. My friends father who worked at GE Nela Park in Cleve. Oh. brought me home a gallon of the original stuff used by GE in there electric motors. I've been using it ever since, 40+ years and locking in the sand in the nooks & cranny's along with the surface tension issue on a high RPM motor to get the oil back to the pickup are a great help.

Dan in WPB used it on my SB stroker decades back. I wonder how toxic it might be considered today, and the reason why it has fallen out of use? Don't see why its insulating properties thermally is plus for us.
Seems as another has mentioned, Imron would solve every concern mentioned here so far.

Wow...who knew...it's toxic so don't use it, factory didn't use so why should i use it, don't need it in most engines because so n so said

This thread is perfect example of why some cars like mine are always faster than the rest. Certified glyptol user: intake valley, bottom of the intake on a sb, timing chain area, cyl heads

Wow...who knew...it's toxic so don't use it, factory didn't use so why should i use it, don't need it in most engines because so n so said

This thread is perfect example of why some cars like mine are always faster than the rest. Certified glyptol user: intake valley, bottom of the intake on a sb, timing chain area, cyl heads
BTW, I have read nowhere in these two threads that anybody claimed it was toxic nor that there is a single case shared the coating has separated. The reason toxicity question was asked is because history is filled with cases of things commonly used and blindly accepted for decades that later were shunned because of toxicity, like lead toothpaste tubes, the red leaded toxic paint used on Golden gate Bridge for decades, etc. I believe the coating has been in wide use way before lead was started to be removed from most coatings. Not sure how useful any lead is in an electrical insulating coating, but no one yet has shared a specific answer to the question. Knowledge is power.

"Alkyd resin​

Alkyd painting​

MFA# 1971.739​

Description​

A thermoset polymer made by the esterification of a polybasic acid with a polyhydric alcohol (Glycol, Glycerol, etc.). Alkyds were first synthesized in 1901 by J.Smith and later patented by General Electric in 1914. The first commerciallized alkyd paint was Glyptal made by GE in 1926. As paints, alkyds are commonly combined with oils (safflower, soybean, linseed, etc.) to form durable, resistant, nonyellowing paints. Oil-modified alkyds made with small amounts of added oil (30-45%) are called short-oil alkyds and are commonly used in baked enamel finishes on metal appliances and automobiles. Alkyds modified with greater amounts of oil (56-70%), called long-oil alkyds, have been used as house paints, artist paints (Griffin), and varnishes. They have good color retention and drying speeds that are faster than oil paints. In addition, alkyd coatings and paints produce a glossy, hard, tough, and durable finish. They do, however, have a tendency to drip and wrinkle in thick areas. The first molded alkyd resins were produced in 1948. The thermosetting resin has been used to make make car parts, electric switches, engine insulators, electronic components, and television parts." Wiki

Last edited:
The first time I saw glyptal used was in the lubication cavity of a (1940s) Bullard Cutmaster VTL, about 1967. I'm a machinetool rebuilder by trade and being curious by nature, I asked the mfg about it's use. When I first started playing with Chrysler cars in the mid '60s, I found Glyptal was used to seal in the misc debris/contaminants as cast iron is porous and you never get all of the garbage out of the casting(s). The 'drain back' aspect is an added benefit but not the original aim using this material. As some have posted, the block/heads have to be super-clean and completely void of any oil/lubricant/petrolium contaminants or the 'sealer' will fail. SEVERAL scalding hot water and Tide washings, followed up with compressed air (outside in the sun) will give you the results of the 'pro builders'; it's worth the effort!

Last edited:
Company I worked for we would paint the inside of the hydraulic tanks for Vibratory Pile drivers with Glyptol. 1st time i did it I crawled into tank and started painting. Nobody cared about safety back then. Man did i get high. Never did that again

Glyptal was developed years ago by General Electric as a brush on or dipped INSULATING COMPOUND for electric motor windings, to provide an additional insulating media and to prevent moisture infiltration on the windings, which can cause a short to ground. This is in addition to the mechanical insulsting papers and compounds used (the Formvar coating on the wires by the wire producer). Its generally used on engines to act as a rust inhibitor/moisture barrier on internal areas, like the lifter gallery or block passages, to prevent rust.......
BOB RENTON
....and as an aid to oil drain-back. (That was what I was told was its primary use in the valley).

Auto Transport Service
Back