• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got any good automobile wrenching related scars?

XS22J8R

Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
I was out to lunch with an old buddy of mine today and he reminded me of a misadventure I had working on cars that left me "branded" for life.
I pulled one of my cars out of the garage around 12 years ago to head to a evening cruise. I thought I smelled gas so looked under the hood and saw that the fuel pump was leaking. Swearing under my breath, I pulled the car back in the garage and got another one out to make my trip. The next weekend I had got a new fuel pump and went to install it. While wrestling with reinstalling a bolt, I heard a crackling sound and smelled flesh burning. I looked down to see that my watchband had contacted the stud on the back of the alternator and my watchband was burning my wrist!
I always disconnect the batteries on my cars when they are parked in my garage, so I hadn't checked the battery and noticed that in my haste and frustration the week before when I discovered the failed fuel pump problem, I'd neglected to disconnect the battery. Dohh!
The burn was pretty scary looking, it never hurt or blistered, but left a milky white area, that in my reading up on burns suggested it was a 3rd degree burn. I was worried about it and considered going to the ER, but instead just kept it covered in antibiotic with a bandage, and when it healed it left a brand the shape of the links of my watchband!
I have some scarred knuckles from other wrenching fubars too. Anyone else have interesting scars from wrenching?

20240703_145123.jpg

At the time that I removed the engine and transmission from my GTX (around 2014), I had pulled the full exhaust off as well - since I had the use of my buddy's hoist, it made the job easier. I cut the exhaust with a chain cutter, and didn't take the extra time to de-burr the cut edges. I wheeled out the trolley frame with the running gear aboard for a steam-cleaning.....but in my haste to turn on the hoses, I caught my leg on the sharp edge of one exhaust pipe.

The next few minutes were horrible....a chunk of meat was ripped open on my leg, blood was spewing everywhere, and I looked around for a patch. Cliff came back to find me sitting in a pool of blood and washing the blood off my leg. He grabbed a big bandage and we cleaned up the wound. He suggested I see a Doctor and get it fixed up....but I was more concerned about working on the car.

About two weeks later I happened to be seeing my Doctor anyway.....she asked about the big scab on my leg. I told her it 'twas but a scratch. :lol:
She looked me in the eye and said it looked like more than a scratch...and said it should have had stitches.

Well, she was right, but it was too late by then. I now wear a scar that will be there forever.....people see it and ask, but the story is too horrible for most. :rolleyes:

20240704_083853.jpg

Not really bad scare/s, mostly lil' cuts & all the arm, shins, legs or knuckles,
header burns, body hair covers 99% of it, typical muscle car/racecar crap

I did have a 68 Charger R/T fall on my chest, in like 1978-ish (?)
in Antioch at my parents house, in their garage...
if not for the 1 of the "New"
rear N50/15 on new 15"x10" Crager's still on the car
I was test fitting them
I'd probably be dead, the old style wood creeper I had split/cracked in 1/2
a Grand Auto cheapo $10 (?) stamp steel jack stand,
I heard a bang, this happened several times while under the car
thought it was the brat kid across the street shooting at my car
with his bb gun as a kid, he had done it before (lil' spoiled POS)
I got out went over & threatened to beat or kill the lil' bastard
& his father if he didn't stop...
Father sat with him to make sure he didn't...
But;
Unfortunately come to find out, a couple of spotwelds broke
the car shifted & rolled a bit & then down, on me
cross member', it literally bounced off my chest,
my head up towards in the driveshaft tunnel
laying there at an angle, then car settled on the couple of sideways jackstands,
it left just enough room
I crawled out the back

it broke my sternum, fractured my arm, got a crap load of scrapes scratches

I was under it doing a shift kit, after test fitting a new rim/tire combo
I was just finishing it up, when it fell...
Luckily I had the driveshaft out or my head would have been toast/crushed
I got it back up, finished up
I was sore but didn't know how bad
I had put the wheels & tires back on, my arm hurt bad
but still had full function, I think the adrenalin was keeping me going

I drove myself to the hospital
when I was in the ER waiting room, waiting for a Dr. to see me..
Sitting there, feeling sore, thenI literally could put my right hands finger
in the center of my chest, between my 2 half's of my ribcage
then I freaked out, screamed for help,
last thing I remembered, then I went into shock,
they jacked stabbed me with a needle
a few days later I woke up in the hospital bed
all doped up, all bound/wrapped up, around my torso/chest
my arm in a sling :blah:

it's a long story, that's the short version

Last edited:
I have a series of scars related to my job in construction, my car hobby and the maintenance here at home.
I pulled a battery cable from my Camaro when the car tried to start despite me being out of it and nowhere near the key....the battery cable was HOT and it melted the skin on my hand.
I've ripped gashes in both arms from header and transmission swaps.
I've burned the hair off of my arms and eyebrows when carburetors backfired and shot flames toward me.
No broken bones, just scars to prove that I lived and didn't spend my life on the couch.

While wrestling with reinstalling a bolt, I heard a crackling sound and smelled flesh burning. I looked down to see that my watchband had contacted the stud on the back of the alternator and my watchband was burning my wrist!
I always disconnect the batteries on my cars when they are parked in my garage, so I hadn't checked the battery and noticed that in my haste and frustration the week before when I discovered the failed fuel pump problem, I'd neglected to disconnect the battery. Dohh!
The burn was pretty scary looking, it never hurt or blistered, but left a milky white area, that in my reading up on burns suggested it was a 3rd degree burn.

View attachment 1688638
Wow, I did the identical move back in 1992, wrenching on my ‘62 Imperial in a motel parking lot after the dried out rubber in my Arizona crankshaft pulley came apart. Bought a replacement from Frank Mitchell for $289.50, his standard extortion, plus overnight shipping. Also got a third degree burn, recovered with no issues. It was great to be young.

Last edited:
metal pins and screws holding the plate in my arm... pins in both ankles.... right knee is just plan worn out from standing on a slab for 40+ years

I was trying to take the wheel and tire off with the trusted four-way and then I remembered that I had some WD-40. I lubed up all the lug nuts which ran down the four-way, and this particular four-way had three sockets and a flat to take off your hubcap. And then I applied to much force, my hand sliped off the end of the flat but my handy wrist was there to catch me from falling.

It used to turn purple when I got cold.

17200504145986057483633862402000.jpg

Not a car but my trailer. I was welding a section of stretched metal and got in a hurry because a big storm was coming.
Here is the result on my right leg and I still have a scar
Should have gotten stitches but didn't
I got a beer instead
20190716_204329.jpg

Multiple scars from cuts on my hands when I worked at the dealerships, staples in my head from trailer hitches and an exhaust shield. Still have some scars from the time the lower radiator hose let loose when I was under a pickup doing an alignment. One near miss when a clevis shattered when bending an I beam. It went passed my head and through the alignment cabinet.

Plenty of busted knuckles, cuts, scrapes, etc., but most of the scars have faded. One of the worst I've had was from removing a C4 transmission from a Ford Falcon. We missed one of the TC to flex plate bolts and couldn't figure out what the trans wouldn't come down. Working with car up on ramps on the carport, Dad was pulling on the tail shaft and I was wrestling with the bell housing. We finally pulled the TC off the input shaft and the trans dropped quickly. Everything was slicker than snot with trans fluid everywhere so my left hand slipped off and the trans fell crushing my forearm between it and the concrete floor. The edge left a deep gash across my arm. Should have gotten stitches, but just taped it up and kept going. Lucky it didn't break my arm.

Last edited:
It's an inch long and goes knuckle to knuckle on my right middle finger, a lifelong memory of my first drum brake job at 16. A spring got me when it let loose.

Never forget the immortal line from The Replacements: "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. But Glory lasts forever."

image.jpg
Plenty of scars, this was the worst, removing rear axle from GMC Bus, the jack holes were stripped in the hub. Had to use a 15lbs sledgehammer to loosen, Axel plate shattered with a piece of metal getting stuck in my forearm. And off the the hospital…

Last edited:
Late 60's I was using a cutting torch to fish mouth a roll cage pipe when I got distracted and passed the torch over my bare left hand.

3rd degree burns...nice charred flesh. No insurance so my wife peeled off the burnt skin and dressed it with a bandage and Vaseline.

Took about 3 months to heal enough to ditch the bandage. The scars lasted about 40 years ..can barely see them now.

I also had to escape a burning garage when I was warming up my '64 GTO after installing the repaired blowed up engine.

Didn't see the fuel line was leaking...it dumped a few gallons of gas on the floor. When I blipped the throttle the flame from the open exhaust lit up the gas.

I tripped on the rocker when trying to exit the car...fell into the burning gasoline. Got 2nd degree burns on my feet and arms.

It was raining so I rolled on the concrete to put out the flames. Burnt my shoe, socks...lost my wedding ring.

A non car related deal in '75...we were staying in the family 150 year old log cabin while our new house was being built.

Tried to start the old oil stove in the living room to warm the joint in the early spring Michigan weather.

I used an old can of Heet to prime the stove...lit it up but the fire quit. Poured another dose of methanol on the primer cut and it exploded.

I jerked back and poured a quart of burning methanol on myself.

More second and third degree burns on my neck and right arm.

Hurt...

View attachment 1689257Plenty of scars, this was the worst, removing rear axle from GMC Bus, the jack holes were script in the hub. Had to with a 15lbs sledgehammer to loosen, Axel plate shattered with a piece of metal getting stuck in my forearm. And off the the hospital…
Dang that's a good scar... :thumbsup:

Not wrenching on a car but an atv. Replaced the plastic fenders on a 400 kawasaki. The Phillips headed bolt stripped so I was drilling the head off the bolt. It was in plastic and was turning w the drill. So I put my socket and ratchet on the back side to hold it. Well, when the head drilled through... it happened so quick the drill bit hit my index finger on my right hand. I taped it and kept working. The next day I asked my wife if she would clean it up and rewrap it. She went to look at it and noticed a entrance wound...and a exit wound. I drilled through my finger and severed the tendon. Doc had to fetch the tendon back down my finger and sew it together...then 27 stitches in that finger.

Last edited:
back in 84 this beautiful 6' blonde I was seeing gave me a gold chain with a screwdriver pendant [hint,hint] on it! I was buttoning up a 400 cyclone engine install in Timblitz [tim hortons company boat 42'scarab eagle] in 87.
just fired it up and leaning into engine compartment to check for leaks my chain hooked on something front of engine and dropped to bottom of engine bay! I looked for about 15mins to see if i could find it but no luck and i certainly wasn't pulling engine again! sent the boat on it's way with my chain in the bilge somewhere, that hurt a lot, especially when the girl passed away a few years later!

Auto Transport Service
Back