• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the GTX today, some surprises

Fuzzy Dice

Local time
7:49 AM
Reaction score
Despite my best judgement, i bought my 71 GTX 2 weeks ago site unseen through eBay. Thats what happens when you are weeks away from the end of a deployment and finally find the car you think is the "one". Well it wasnt horrible and the seller was pretty honest. Got it today after it was shipped from PA to here in NC. Well, on the truck saw a small slow oil leak when it was running, looks like its from the filter( No rust though, as promised!). However it started right up and sounded good.

Got to the first stoplight, and i dont think i let it warm up enough and it died. Well then the linkage came apart(pin broke) and couldnt start it because it wasnt in park. Push it back to a parking lot with some help from good samaritans and after buying some cotter pins from Harbor Freight got it hooked back up(although it did break again later).

Went to put some fresh gas in it, and a plug or stopper came off and had a nice, oh 5 gallon fuel spill. Luckily i plugged itwith my finger while my friend got a bucket.Then bought a temp rubber stopper to plug for now. So i get to the DMV(no plates yet) and they tell me the title isnt good because the last owner didnt have it notorized. Well funny story, i purchased the vehicle from an estate sale and so the last owner is dead. Now i have to call a number tomorrow morning to try and get some special consideration, otherwise i have to mail it and another form to PA for the exicter of the estate sign it and notorize it.

Also the little problems ive noticed, no light switch(soooo,no lights), all gauges do not work, slight acceleration hesitation, sounds like a hole in the driver side header somewhere, and door panels arent perfect.

And so because i dont have plates or the title even in my name, i cannot get it on base, and so it is now sitting at a friends house for the next couple days.

:angryfire:Ahhhhhh! Long story i know, sorry gents. Overall, SOLID BODY(had too), decent paint, no rust, and minor problems.

Wow Fuzzy dice That sounds like same crap I get into.....but if it were easy everybody would do it! I hope it works out for you and love to see pic.

Camoman

I'd say you made out pretty well considering. Buying a car sight unseen (and especially from eBay) always seems to bite you in the ***. DAMHIK

Last edited:
i figure the big question is are you happy with it? good luck with the car just try and be patient with all the paperwork stuff that can be really frustrating!

dude.......dude.............DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E--EE-E-...it aint that bad...nuthin that cant be fixed. sounds like ya got off pretty good. the title will get settled...youll get a switch...bla bla and all will be good inGTX land. none of our cars came to us in perfect condition.....right >? unless you WAYYYYYY over paid for it.....id say those things are typical and very minor!:headbang:

I agree with the Dog. Everything you mentioned is pretty minor on a 40 year old car. Welcome to the Mopar world.

I agree with everybody elde, once you get the paperwork in your hands and get the minor things fixed sounds like you'll have one heck of a nice ride.

You know... you wouldn't be having these problems if you had joined the Navy. ;)

Yeah our cars are not perfect and are ongoing projects mine at least is and will probably never really be finished 100% but hey at least you can drive it! fix the small stupid stuff and go have some fun show it off and be proud you own a mopar!

Yeah our cars are not perfect and are ongoing projects mine at least is and will probably never really be finished 100% but hey at least you can drive it! fix the small stupid stuff and go have some fun show it off and be proud you own a mopar!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....... what he said^^^^^^^^

I think you'll have a lot of fun once you get the bugs worked out, sounds like a good one and as much as you may dislike the problems you did find, buying site unseen from Ebay, i really think you made out a whole lot better then some who have done the same...

You know... you wouldn't be having these problems if you had joined the Navy. ;)

OH! And on the Marine Corps birthday too! Haha all good, my Dad and brother were Navy too, the jokes are always around.

Thank you everybody, after a relaxing day yesterday and sitting back and taking the situation as a whole im glad i bought it, and really the things that happened weren't there before, just happened to have the worst timing ever i guess. Cant wait to get started and enjoy the process.

Recently did the same ( bought a car 'blind' without seeing it) although I did know and trust the previous owner. Well, the car turned up much as described, but the interior is worse than I thought, the light and wipers didn't work (quick play with the bulkhead connector sorted that out), the brakes don't work despite everything except the booster being replaced...
So I understand how you feel. That said, none of the problems mentioned are serious, just nuisance value and soon fixed.
Hope you enjoy the car:headbang:

well buddy you really aren't that bad off. you have the 2 biggest hurdle's covered. 1; good solid body 2; it runs. the car is darn near 42 years old. the last time i bought a car that had no problems was a new one and it needed some fine tuning. if you are capable of the minor stuff to fix you will enjoy it that much more. there is a lot of smarts on here.
good luck and have fun with it. :headbang:

ps; welcome home

Auto Transport Service
Back