• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greasing non-greasable u-joints

JR_Charger

Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm installing new u-joints, they look like they have some grease from the factory but nothing like what ChrisFix does here @ 18:03 -

So am I supposed to pack these things by hand before installing them in the driveshaft?

So your new u-joints have no grease fittings?
If they do. Just pump them full of grease after they are installed. They should be pre- greased if no fittings.

So your new u-joints have no grease fittings?
If they do. Just pump them full of grease after they are installed. They should be pre- greased if no fittings.

They're heavy duty U-joints that have an optional zerk included, but not installed. I'd have to drill a hole to install the zerk.

On our race cars, I prefer non greasable and just hand
lube them before installation.

Any special technique for lubing, or just shove grease in there? Will wheel bearing grease do?

I use my index finger and just wheel bearing grease.

Remember to wash your hand before you scratch your ***
or some people might get the wrong idea about you!

They're heavy duty U-joints that have an optional zerk included, but not installed. I'd have to drill a hole to install the zerk.

Any special technique for lubing, or just shove grease in there? Will wheel bearing grease do?
Just a FYI, you can't just drill a hole and tap for a zerk. There are internal passages for the grease to get through.

Just a FYI, you can't just drill a hole and tap for a zerk. There are internal passages for the grease to get through.

I see - there was a raised area in the center that looked like it was where the zerk would go, but one of the end caps had a hole for the zerk in it. That answers that question!

I see - there was a raised area in the center that looked like it was where the zerk would go, but one of the end caps had a hole for the zerk in it. That answers that question!
If a cap has a zerk in it the cross probably has a passage. It's pretty simple really. If there is a zerk in the cross or cap, grease it. If no zerk, they are non greasable unless you take them apart. If you replace a joint, install one with a zerk so it can be greased.

What grease? I've got some general purpose brown stuff in my grease gun that I use on suspension components. Have to go see what it is.

What grease? I've got some general purpose brown stuff in my grease gun that I use on suspension components. Have to go see what it is.
What ever is in my gun is what it gets. Any grease is better than none. Without sending a sample to a lab, there's no way to know what is in there to start.

Auto Transport Service
Back