• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy complains about Lowballer then sells for this exact amount to someone else

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score

First he complains that 5000$ (33% below his ask) is a rude lowball offer but then later sells the car for this exact amount to somebody else? :wtf:

Apart from that i think that offering 30% below ask isn't rude.
Because even if you are willing to spend more, you gotta start somewhere / leave some room for further negotiation, right?

I saw that video. He also did a video comparing three B bodies with different suspensions. I didn't like either video.
He may be great at rebuilding and restoring cars but I don't like his video work.
This video....I do understand his frustration. The idiots that open with a cut rate offer despite never seeing the cars in person.
However...As the OP states, the guy complains but then gives in to the price later. Why even post this video on his channel? It makes him look stupid for complaining then going along with it.
The suspension video was extremely amateurish. A waitress at a Waffle House could have done a similar job. There was no actual testing, just a "ride and report" with nothing but casual opinions thrown in.

I subscribe to Tom's Rocket Restorations channel and like it.
I have a pet peeve about people who contact you in response to an ad you run, and the first thing they ask is what is the lowest price you'll take. I take that to mean they are a lowballer trying to renegotiate your asking price on something they intend to flip.
I want to deal with someone who genuinely seems interested in owning the item I'm selling. I price leaving room to negotiate, but the selling price can be hammered out when you view the car and decide if you really are interested. If my asking price is really out of line in their mind, they should shoot their bullets elsewhere. But lowering my price first thing when someone contacts me, then no doubt have them try to beat me down from that lower price when they come out to see it, is not a road I think worth traveling when selling.
I suspect that is in line with what Tom was thinking when someone contacted him immediately offering $5000, and he let the car go for that price later when dealing with buyer who talked to him about the car in project in detail, and then agreed on that price after some respectable back and forth.

I have a pet peeve about people who contact you in response to an ad you run, and the first thing they ask is what is the lowest price you'll take. I take that to mean they are a lowballer trying to renegotiate your asking price on something they intend to flip.
I want to deal with someone who genuinely seems interested in owning the item I'm selling. I price leaving room to negotiate, but the selling price can be hammered out when you view the car and decide if you really are interested. If my asking price is really out of line in their mind, they should shoot their bullets elsewhere. But lowering my price first thing when someone contacts me, then no doubt have them try to beat me down from that lower price when they come out to see it, is not a road I think worth traveling when selling.
I suspect that is in line with what Tom was thinking when someone contacted him immediately offering $5000, and he let the car go for that price later when dealing with buyer who talked to him about the car in project in detail, and then agreed on that price after some respectable back and forth.

Okay agreed if i was to buy a car i would also first look at it and then negotiate in person. (I would also ask if the price is negotiable prior to looking at it)
Same when selling a vehicle. I would only be willing to negotiate in person after the buyer has looked at the car.

A "fair" starting offer obviously also depends on the asking price.
If the asking price is already 20% below market offering 30% below ask would be indeed rude.

Okay agreed if i was to buy a car i would also first look at it and then negotiate in person. (I would also ask if the price is negotiable prior to looking at it)
Same when selling a vehicle. I would only be willing to negotiate in person after the buyer has looked at the car.

A "fair" starting offer obviously also depends on the asking price.
If the asking price is already 20% below market offering 30% below ask would be indeed rude.
I listed a B Body here on this web site for sale several times. I was shocked that the members of this community did nothing but pick my car to pieces and multiple low ball offers in the range of almost half my really fair asking price.

I hate to stereotype, but the guys here throwing stones are not without sin.

Advice for others: unless your car is perfect in everyway possible and you are pricing it 40% below fair market do not waste your time listing a car on this web site (fbbo).

Seller must have not known it's market value. He found out by the offers he got. Would have been nice to call the "low baller" and offered him the car. Don't think that would happen.

If someone asks what's the lowest price I'll take, I usually tell them my lowest price. If they try to go lower I'll remind them that they asked my lowest price and I already gave it to them.
Once you get my bottom number......it's truly my bottom number.

Always amazed at the ones that get mad when I won't negotiate anymore after that :icon_fU::icon_fU:

I listed a B Body here on this web site for sale several times. I was shocked that the members of this community did nothing but pick my car to pieces and multiple low ball offers in the range of almost half my really fair asking price.

Advice for others: unless your car is perfect in everyway possible and you are pricing it 40% below fair market do not waste your time listing a car on this web site (fbbo).
U think this place is tough. Try listing on FABO. Kim

I thought your coronet was a great deal. But I do like the 66-67 Bs.

That car was a complete turd and would be hard to price. Also, it's a business, so he's trying to get as much as possible in order to keep the lights on,.... so you start with a higher price and see where it goes. Pretty normal.

Your stuff is worth a bundle.
My stuff isn't worth sh1t.

Welcome to selling or buying anything. Tell off the time wasters, they earned it. Work with people that are genuine, they earned that.

Three weeks ago, a young guy came by to get stuff to fix up a Dart Sport he was working on. I met him at a swap meet where he bought stuff from me at prices that were all below market value.
While here, the guy played it like he liked buying from me because my stuff was priced cheaper than the others at the swap meet.
It probably was.
This friggin guy was unapologetic about being a cheap ***. Me? I don’t have the nerve to make a stupidly low offer on stuff I need but this piece of **** had no problem doing it. I have a “no title” mostly stripped out car that still had a lot of small parts that are great to find. I let him take whatever he wanted for free but charged fair prices for other things… and the ******** stil tried to offer less. The total? $90.
Then he saw an upper seat section in almost perfect shape and asked if he could have it all for $100.
It never hurts to ask.
S
crew that. It will hurt the next guy that tries that because if be doesn’t leave with hurt feelings, his *** will hurt from me kicking it.
The seat as a core is worth $50. With perfect upholstery it is at least $300 and this dipshit offered ten dollars for it.
He called last week asking about more stuff I have and I gave him the run around. Screw that. I am willing to be reasonable but when assclowns like this guy push too far, being polite is not what will follow.

Last edited:
When a prospective buyer opens with “What’s the lowest you’ll take?”, I respond with “What’s the most you’ll pay?” Some get pissed off. Oh, well!

I suspect it wasn’t about the lowball offer, the buyer probably did something that rubbed the seller the wrong way…

You want $3000?
I’ll give you $1500 cash.
Yeah, as if him willing to pay in CASH is going to get me on his side.
All I want is cash. That is it.
I’m not trading for lottery tickets or ground beef.
I almost look forward to these idiots because it offers the opportunity to polish my skills at insulting people that I don’t like.

You want $3000?
I’ll give you $1500 cash.
Yeah, as if him willing to pay in CASH is going to get me on his side.
All I want is cash. That is it.
I’m not trading for lottery tickets or ground beef.
I almost look forward to these idiots because it offers the opportunity to polish my skills at insulting people that I don’t like.
When they start with stupid, it's always fun to see how far you can raise the bar

When a prospective buyer opens with “What’s the lowest you’ll take?”, I respond with “What’s the most you’ll pay?” Some get pissed off. Oh, well!
Haha that’s the same thing I say. Most never respond because they aren’t serious to begin with.

Auto Transport Service
Back