• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head gasket coolant passage

furyus

Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
Is this coolant passage on the head gasket enough to properly cool the engine? It is also offset. thoughts ?

20221207_161559.jpg

I've read a few posts about these Slots in the head gaskets and most people who sound like they know what they're talking about
say to leave them alone. Your guess is as good as mine!

It is just one of many coolant passages which in combination, cool the engine.

I've asked this same question before.
And the answer I got was to leave them alone as well. But I wonder if they are different between manufacturers and performance and industrial gaskets? Example; 383 two barrel engine and a 440 motor home engine. Which might need more cooling capacity at the cylinder heads? Just still wondering.

That's not intended to move any volume of coolant... It's intended to purge any air that gets into the block.... Coolant flows from the water pump back around the cylinders all the way to the back of the block then returns forward through the heads....

If you open those slots the coolant never makes it to the rear cylinders....

I've asked this same question before.
And the answer I got was to leave them alone as well. But I wonder if they are different between manufacturers and performance and industrial gaskets? Example; 383 two barrel engine and a 440 motor home engine. Which might need more cooling capacity at the cylinder heads? Just still wondering.
And the answer would be no...

That's not intended to move any volume of coolant... It's intended to purge any air that gets into the block.... Coolant flows from the water pump back around the cylinders all the way to the back of the block then returns forward through the heads....

If you open those slots the coolant never makes it to the rear cylinders....

Cool! LOL! That makes sense. Thanks!

You can't judge the adequacy of the holes in gaskets by comparing them to holes in the block. Most of the holes in the block are designed at a specific size required to remove sand from the block after the casting process. ...Retired foundry owner.

Don't rest too easy! There are more puzzles than meet the eye in our cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back