• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header clearance for fuel hose

The description says it all - its a fire sleeve - not a heat sleeve. It'll offer minimal protection from heat.

Negative. They call it a "fire sleeve" also, but ...

Description: Heat Shield Sleeve Silicone Fiberglass Wrap

Description further states that it can lower the temp of whatever it is wrapped around by 60%. Which isn't peanuts.

Description further states that it can lower the temp of whatever it is wrapped around by 60%. Which isn't peanuts.
I'll admit that I guess when drawing cool fuel out of a tank that is possible. Aircraft use, oil temps actually run higher with the stuff in place, to meet regs, as it holds the heat in the "carrier" hose and the firesleeve doesn't let it dissipate. Best heat shield is still just that, an aircooled shield.

Yeah I could see that happening in your aircraft scenario, but that sounds like you want to remove heat from the oil lines which the sleeve would block, resulting in higher temps.

With cold fuel, that sleeve should keep the temps down below what you get with headers radiating off a steel fuel line.

My take on reading the description for the sleeve is for shielding whatever is inside the sleeve from external heat sources, which was my end game with the 3' of fuel line that gets exposed to header heat.

So, the 18" fan sucking through the radiator is circulating alot of air in and around the engine.
The heat sleeve installed on the fuel line is getting plenty of air. If there were no air circulation
I would agree with you, but that's not the case. Insulated heat deflectors work, and if you look
for different configurations you'll find them.

If you put a longer hose on the fuel pump & a clamp clamping it to the chassis rail you should gain 1/2 to 1" I done mine needed to use a drill with anges head & a short self tapping drill bit

To chime in here with a slightly different, but similar question: How close is too close for the brake lines against TTi headers? My new Wilwood Master Cylinder has the brake lines coming out of the left side (closest to engine), and then runs downward into chassis/frame area. I'd say the distance is similar ( also a 383, but in a Charger). Any concerns with the extra heat?

I have DEI reflective heat wrap on my starter, positive starter cable and wires to the starter, fuel lines and brake lines. With an exhaust heat shield on the airplane that I built, I tried to have the gap no closer than 1/2" from the shields to anything rubber, fuel or oil. Yes, I had firesleeve on the lines, but did not consider it for heat deflection. If you get a big piece of DEI Shield, you can cut it to fit and have your wife sew / fit with velcro. That's what I did. Wish that I had a picture of an aluminum exhaust heat shield, they are fairly easy to make and attach with a hose clamp.

Auto Transport Service
Back