• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers - mufflers - want to add glass packs

vsj100

Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Mine is a 68 Coronet 500 - Superbee with a 440. I have attached pics of the mufflers. I am hoping to make it quieter by adding 24 inch glasspacks. Seeking your opinions on this move. I really like the tips so I'd rather not change those.
What will I gain with the added glasspacks? Thanks in advance!
Scott

The car made its 1st freeway voyage yesterday from San Jose down to Gilroy and back. It's pretty loud.

20231107_140821 (1).jpg

20231108_142756 (1).jpg

"Adding" glasspacks ? Replacing the existing mufflers, or adding onto to existing system ? You're looking for "quiet" with headers and glasspacks ?

Are those flowmaster mufflers? I can say I have never seen anyone try to use a resonator (glass pack or otherwise) with flowmasters. I would expect it to change the tone but have no idea how it will turn out.

someone just gave me several "break in" headers for a SBC and a set of Purple *****'s.......... I need to get an engine running that's been sitting, and open headers won't cut it....... I never heard of the *****'s, I thought they were old; but they are currently available......... but in my mind, they take me back to the mid 80's :bananaweed:

1713632987730.jpeg

1713633343527.jpeg

1713633396123.jpeg

Flowmasters....I call them Blowbastards. Rather run straights than run them things! Heck, run Boom Tubes! :D

someone just gave me several "break in" headers for a SBC and a set of Purple *****'s.......... I need to get an engine running that's been sitting, and open headers won't cut it....... I never heard of the *****'s, I thought they were old; but they are currently available......... but in my mind, they take me back to the mid 80's :bananaweed:

View attachment 1650006
View attachment 1650008
View attachment 1650009
I have a set of the purple horniest that bolt to header flanges. I will use them for the header install on my 72 Newport and to drive to the exhaust shop.

To the OP if you don't want "loud" consider swapping mufflers.

Try it and see. If it is still too loud then change mufflers and you will already have built in resonators. Please give us some before and after sound clips if you do.

It would be easier to just replace your current mufflers with a couple of Dynomax Super Turbos.

It would be easier to just replace your current mufflers with a couple of Dynomax Super Turbos.

This here :thumbsup:

If not Dynomax, any quieter muffler of same dimensions and inlet/outlet. Much easier and cleaner job than hacking up your brand new tailpipes.

I'll give it a try and see how it sounds - then report back. Here is a sound bite. It sounds GREAT but loud.

I LIKE the flowmaster sound, but not the usual Flowmaster volume.
Most people buy 40s or 44s, and have terrible drone and too loud. I bought the biggest, longest muffler that would fit under my 62, and a nice long huge direct fit FM for my dually, and was happy with the sound in both cases.
Too bad both fm #s that I bought are now over $200 ea. I paid less than half that.

"Adding" glasspacks ? Replacing the existing mufflers, or adding onto to existing system ? You're looking for "quiet" with headers and glasspacks ?
I would add the glasspacks. I have them already in the shop.

I like the sound and look of your car, but read posts #10,11, 12. Me, I'd just swap the mufflers alone.

I put chambered mufflers on my GTO, liked the sound but it was just TOO loud. I left them on and added a set of cheapie Summit Racing glasspacks, real happy now with the results, quieted it down just enough but still has a nice bark.

Edit: It also helps ALOT to put sound deadening on the floors at least above the muffs if you have not done that already

Last edited:
OP........ where are you going to fit the glass packs? :popcorn2:

Auto Transport Service
Back