• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlamp power plug/pigtail access

Potshot

Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm troubleshooting my brights on my 67 Charger and I'm trying to get access to the headlight (lamp) plug and access is a real puzzle. The back side looked like a real pain so I started looking into pulling the turn lamp in front. That's not going great either (attached at the bottom?) so I have to ask... What's the correct way to get to that plug?

The grill portion around the headlights and the solid grille have 6 screws (I think) which hold the front and back together like a clam shell. If you remove the screws and take off the solid grille piece you can unplug the headlight bulbs.

Dons correct, to expand a that a bit... Getting to the connectors is really quite easy. With headlights showing (open), at the rotating headlamp bucket, around the rectangular perimeter of the rotating bucket will be 6 machine screws, three at the top, three at the bottom. Use a long Phillips screwdriver and remove the 6 screws. You need to reach about 3 inches into the perimeter edges of the bucket to get to the Phillips screw heads. Unless you have a magnetic tipped screwdriver, you may want to slip some paper under the width of the headlight bucket slipped in above the bumper to catch the screws if you drop them. If you are lucky, the screws will come out and not be seized into the rear housing screw holes.. You MUST support the trim piece as you remove the last screw, it weighs quite a bit and you don't want to drop it. You will now have access to both lamps in the bucket.
Once that front trim section of the bucket is removed, there are three screws on the outer edges of the rings of the lamp retainers, If I recall correctly, the screws do not need to be removed, just sufficiently loosened as the bracket holes are teardrop shaped. Rotate that retainer ring till the screw heads will pass thru the larger part of the teardrops and remove the retainer. You can now carefully lift out the headlamps to access the connectors plugs at the rear. of the lamps.
When you re-assemble, I would suggest putting some anti-size paste on the screw threads.
Note: This trim piece removal is also required to access to access the aiming screws for the headlamps.

Last edited:
Great, thanks gents. I'll give that a shot.

Auto Transport Service
Back