• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello from California.

OneWheelPeel

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I found this forum while searching for a B-body, and I think it's time to start a project with one of those.

I'm in Salinas, California, and I work in software, but I've spent my free time on cars pretty much my whole life.

I've had a bunch of project cars (some real basket cases) but haven't had much experience with classic Mopars, unless you count my 1984 Daytona. Now, I'm on the hunt for an affordable '68/'69/'70 B-body that's healthy enough to putt around town and can be a running project to slowly improve. I'll be checking out the classifieds section here later today. The idea of buying remotely without getting ripped off and having it shipped does make me nervous since I've only ever bought local cars, but I'm not finding much locally right now. Any pointers or real-world experience with shippers would be appreciated.

91011.gif

Welcome.
I have friends in the central valley including Salinas. Good to have you aboard.

IMG_6907.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome from Alabama, there are members here from all over the country. If you find something you want, check here to see if there is someone close enough to inspect it for you. I have checked cars out on a couple of occasions.

Welcome from Alabama, there are members here from all over the country. If you find something you want, check here to see if there is someone close enough to inspect it for you. I have checked cars out on a couple of occasions.
Thanks I will keep that in mind! I did see one in the for sale section here in Ohio and I may contact the seller. But wow Ohio is faaaaar away.

Stating the obvious, the 68-70 Chargers are expensive to buy. The '70 has a lot of one year only parts that are not reproduced so if you do buy one, make sure it is as complete as it can be.
The Belvederes/Satellites and Coronets are the same car under the skin so they perform great for far less money. All of the 68-70 B body cars are excellent choices, you can't go wrong with a 2 door model.
Don't concern yourself with missing engines or transmissions. Those can be found from numerous sources. Holley has made the investment to allow us to install late model Hemi engines in these cars a whole lot easier than ever. A well tuned 5.7 Hemi 68-70 B body will run about the same speeds as a stock 440 4 barrel and get double the mileage.
Not everyone embraces the new engines but they are a breath of fresh air to many enthusiasts.
I'm considering a stroked 5.7 Hemi for my Jigsaw Charger:

Field car 2.JPG

Stating the obvious, the 68-70 Chargers are expensive to buy. The '70 has a lot of one year only parts that are not reproduced so if you do buy one, make sure it is as complete as it can be.
The Belvederes/Satellites and Coronets are the same car under the skin so they perform great for far less money. All of the 68-70 B body cars are excellent choices, you can't go wrong with a 2 door model.
Don't concern yourself with missing engines or transmissions. Those can be found from numerous sources. Holley has made the investment to allow us to install late model Hemi engines in these cars a whole lot easier than ever. A well tuned 5.7 Hemi 68-70 B body will run about the same speeds as a stock 440 4 barrel and get double the mileage.
Not everyone embraces the new engines but they are a breath of fresh air to many enthusiasts.
I'm considering a stroked 5.7 Hemi for my Jigsaw Charger:

View attachment 1688697
Pretty much the same conclusion I came to (but I didn't know the 1970 had the part issue), the goal was a Charger but I can't justify to myself some of these asking prices. I would be happy with one of the alternatives and I'd prefer it to have its motor because I'm not really set up for installing one right now and it can really make a project drag.
I love the new engines, my DD is a 2019 Challenger with a 392 and I would not mind that motor in a classic car down the road.

This is completely anecdotal but from what I have seen, even a reasonably complete car like this one:

JF 7.JPG

STILL has asking prices around $20,000 despite needing bodywork, paint, interior and also needing almost all mechanical things to be cleaned up. This car is complete for the most part and had no significant rust. These cars sell fast too, leading me to think that the high asking prices are offensive yet justified by the people that pay that much. I got lucky. This one was wrecked, I had stuff to fix it. I'm into the car for around $10,000 including rebuilding the 383. I'd probably be into a Satellite or Coronet for the same amount. I bought this one from a friend for $5000.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

Welcome.
I have friends in the central valley including Salinas. Good to have you aboard.

View attachment 1688674
Looks familiar...

My advise about shippers? You live in California, people search high & low for California cars to buy... Why ship a car in from elsewhere when we live in such a dry climate... Keep looking, maybe extend your search but not to the point that you need a transporter...

This is completely anecdotal but from what I have seen, even a reasonably complete car like this one:

STILL has asking prices around $20,000 despite needing bodywork, paint, interior and also needing almost all mechanical things to be cleaned up. This car is complete for the most part and had no significant rust. These cars sell fast too, leading me to think that the high asking prices are offensive yet justified by the people that pay that much. I got lucky. This one was wrecked, I had stuff to fix it. I'm into the car for around $10,000 including rebuilding the 383. I'd probably be into a Satellite or Coronet for the same amount. I bought this one from a friend for $5000.

Lookie what $5000 buys you....
I know what thread will be my evening reading today.
Looks familiar...

My advise about shippers? You live in California, people search high & low for California cars to buy... Why ship a car in from elsewhere when we live in such a dry climate... Keep looking, maybe extend your search but not to the point that you need a transporter...
Oh I'm looking here too, have had a few searches open on my computer for over a month and I'm just not finding the right one. Anything past 100 miles away becomes a whole to do with my work schedule and not having anyone local that would want to road trip with me and provide support if the vehicle breaks down on the way to its new home. Not an insurmountable challenge tho if one popped up.

Thanks! I would say the $25k one is at the very upper limit of what I would spend,and frankly is nicer than what I would start with. I'm thinking spend less and get something rough because those are the fun projects for me, I've brought a few runners home that basically drove with a temporary seat but everything else was up to me.
But with that said I'm going to see if a friend down south wants to take a day trip to check it out.

Well, he has it listed as a Roadrunner... It probably isn't.. It has a small block & a flat hood... Still a decent car but not a Roadrunner... Might ask about the VIN.. If it starts with RM than it is a Roadrunner... RH/RP/RL it's not...

Also the front marker lights are missing... Might be filled, might be fiberglass front fenders...

Oh that’s suspicious, thanks for pointing it out. Might be one of those guys who just crank out flippers, could be more innocent but never know. Now I’m having flashbacks to a bondo’d up with shiny paint karmann ghia I once bought. Oddly enough I didn’t regret getting it and made a profit on it even after disclosing all its issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back